Topic

Ripstop Nylon PP ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ripstop Nylon PP ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Was searching the local fabric store for nylon that I could use for some projects, and while I couldn't discern much about DWR or other coatings, I did find some at one location, that was a bit more per yard, and instead of being labeled "Ripstop Nylon" on the bottom, it was labeled "Ripstop Nylon PP or PR?(I think)", and definitely had some sort of coating, the feel was very different on top side..

So, can anybody tell me what this is based on the limited info?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Polypropylene – the coating?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Um … no idea. I don't think polypropylene has ever been coated onto a fabric though.
    (Which may mean of course that I am wrong.)

Cheers

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

It might have been Nylon "PU" which means it is "rubber" coated, not breathable and the standard wieight is 1.9 oz. as opposed to silicone coated nylon which is usually 1.1 oz.
    See listing at Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics:

http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/Ripstop.asp#Nylon%20Ripstop:%20Coated

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools