Topic

Pattern Similar to WM jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pattern Similar to WM jacket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

I really like the Western Mountaineering hooded flash jacket, and especially like that it only uses 3oz. of down fill (I live in so-cal and don't need that much warmth). So does anyone have any patterns like it? Also would 900 f.p. down work well in a jacket?

-CS

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Check out the kits from Thru-hiker. I can't comment on which jacket at which insulation thickness is comparable to the Flash jacket, though.

http://thru-hiker.com/kits/

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

I might go with the Whitney, but the only problemis that I would like to get some of Ed Speers 900 F.P. down, and they won't let me order the kit w/out the down, wich makes sense. So I may still get it, but I havn't made up my mind yet.

-CS

Cali Terrasas

@cal429258

Locale: So Cal

Why not just get the kit and then sale the down still packed in its bag it comes in and use the money to buy the 900 down you want. I live in SO Cal also and I have made about all the kits from thru hiker and I use all of them at some time or another so I dont think you can go wrong with any of the stuff.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i have used both down and the 900 is not as good as the 800 from thru-hiker. I use only thru-hiker down now in my gear.

-Tim

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Do this if you enjoy making your own gear, but if you are just doing it as a way to save money then you could just buy the new Montbell U.L. Down Inner Parka from FrontCountry.com for only $10 more than the kit. Now that it's been revised, it has 2.5oz of down plus you get cinch cords in the waist and hood for just 8.5 oz (medium).

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

These responses are relly helpful, and I really ahve no sewing experience with down (ive 2 shirts and a pack cover before), so I think im just going to go with the new montbell. Just another thing to add to y growing list…. I hate this site :)

-CS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools