Topic

Scout First Aid kits

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Scout First Aid kits

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

What do you require your Scouts to take vs all that is recommended in their Handbook?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Generally just the obvious, for minor wound and foot care. We usually stick one of the adults with a more complete kit.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Michael- if you look on page 289 of 1998 printing (my book)it lists for at "Personal First Aid Kit":

Adhesive bandages- 6 (I agree)

Sterile gauze pads, 3×3- 2 (I agree)

Adhesive tape- 1 small role (I have them role some on a halfed popcicle stick, you don't need a whole role)

Moleskin, 3×6"- 1 (I have them take about 1/2 that)

Soap- 1 small bar (no need for the bar- I have them repackage Dr. Broners in a very small dropper bottle- One bottle will take care of the whole troop)

Antiseptic- 1 small tube (too much- you can get it in small packets- 2 is plenty)

Scissors- 1 pair (not necessary)

Latex gloves- 1 pair (not necessary)

Mouth barrier device for rescue breathing or CPR- 1(NO WAY, this is nuts)

Plastic goggles or other eye protection- 1 (NO WAY, this is nuts also)

Pencil and paper- 1 each (unnecessary)

Here is what I tell them to carry:
    Personal First Aid Kit
    Item
    Cloth bandages- regular size- 5
    Knuckle bandage- 1
    Butterfly bandages- 5
    2×3 Gauze pads- 2
    2×3 moleskin- 1
    Ibuprofen tablets- 6
    Dbl or Tri Antibiotic Ointment packet (small)- 2
    Benzalkonium Chloride Towelette- 2
    Diphen (antihistamine) tablets- 4
    Imodium Tablets- 2
    Soap- carried elsewhere
    Bandana- carried elsewhere (use as sling or triangle bandage or as ankle support bandage)
    Tape- Duct tape carried elsewhere

The above weighs in at just under 2 oz, the only thing that has every been used is the bandages- and only a couple of those in 3 years!

The Patrol/Troop first aid kit on the next page is way out of line- if everyone is carrying a personal kit you have everything in bulk except some of the larger stuff.
    I teach the boys to improvise with what they have- To "be prepared" doesn't mean bringing the kitchen sink, it is to know what to do when, and know how to use what you have.

Good luck, I'm the scout master so I don't have to fight anyone on this, YMMV.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

> The Patrol/Troop first aid kit on the next page is way out of line

I agree (on the other nuts things as well). Not sure if I'll have a fight or not – we just got a huge tackle box to put the troop FA kit in but there's no way I'm taking that in the backcountry! :)

However, I WAS concerned about potential liability. I didn't know if BSA mandated certain things or if you could be sued for telling your Scouts not to carry various items that would have proved beneficial in an emergency.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Michael- you have no liability- if you have every scout fill out their Medical release form- there is a new one out that is to be used from now on- (look up Medical form-2010.pdf)
    The last page has a hold harmless agreement to be signed by parent.
    These should be done anyway.
    The old one has the same thing, so no worries.

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Nice list Tad,

The one other first aid item I make sure we have on outings is something for stomach ache — from the scouts eating their own cooking! Usually just a few TUMS and/or Pepto Bismol tablets. These get used pretty often.

After having someone twist a knee on a long hike, I started carrying an single elastic bandage for wrapping a knee or ankle. We have only needed it twice in four years, but it really makes a difference when you have miles to go.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Latex gloves- 1 pair (not necessary)

I'm specifically NOT interest in starting a debate regarding risk of contact with blood but I'd take issue with that one.

We have bred a population of hemo-phobes who run (not walk) away from even the sight of blood. When a scout is injured in a way he cannot treat himself I want to observe (and coach if needed) another scout in treating him. The last thing I want in that situation is to be having the above mentioned debate with the scout in front of the others. Or even worse, get a phone call from his parent(s) when he goes home and tells them "Mr. Colten made me get Johnny's blood all over my fingers".

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Jim, I can't imagine any of my scouts parents having issue with their boy saving the live of another scout because he got
    "Johnny's blood all over my fingers".
    "this is all I have to say about that"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools