Topic

Need advise on climashield weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need advise on climashield weight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I bought 14 yds of 1 oz ripstop from walmart for about $20 so I am thinking about building a top quilt for hammocking. Probably a bottom quilt too sometime later.

I have already built a test quilt out of cheap material so I know the size and design I want.

My pattern is roughly 3 square yds, so 6 oz for the cloth and insul is added to that.

I am figuring 2.5 oz or 3.7 climashield is probably best.

I want somthing that will work for late spring, summer and early fall without being too hot, but will also add 15dF to my sleeping bag without a bivy.

A 2.5 quilt should weigh about 14 oz and good to about 50dF.

A 3.7 quilt about 17oz. Maybe good to 40-45dF. I am thinking this might be the best option, but not sure if it will be too hot in summer.

I could also build a 5oz XP quilt for more warmth. That should be good to 35dF, but is probably too heavy for summer just guessing. That would weigh about 21 oz.

I have a montbell #1 spiral long.
    Also will always carry johns for sleeping, a thermawrap parka heavy socks and insul pants in colder seasons.

If I used a 2.5 XP quilt as an extender total weight would be about 3#.

3.7 XP as an extender 3# 3oz

5 as an extender 3# 7oz

Thanks in advance for the advise.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I have a 3.7 oz and 1.1 dwr quilt that's 15.5 oz. I used it in the Whites last month into the 30s wearing the BPL UL Merino Hoody and GoLite Stride shorts with some fleece socks on. I also tried to use it in the low 50s and it was really too warm for that. I run on the warm side for reference.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Thanks.

Guess I will start out with 2.5xp. I can always open it up and add another layer.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

When helping people decide on what insulation to use i normally advise that they can expect to get something similar to 2.5XP – 45* | 3.7COMBAT – 35* | 5XP – 25*

-Tim

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Thanks Tim for the feedback.

2.5 it is with maybe a 5oz later.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools