Topic

Old MYOG Book

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Old MYOG Book

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I was just wondering if anyone else owns a copy of this book… "How to Make Your own Lightweight Camping & Hiking Gear" by Vick Roling Hines.

I assume the author is our member vickrhines.

Vick, Any chance you are indeed the author?

The interesting thing about this book is it is copyright 1981. The book is incredible and covers projects for about any lightweight need. How to make rain jacket, chaps, gaters, insulated vest, tarp, minitent, sleeping bag and framed or frameless pack as well as an alcy stove that is windproof.

The crazy thing is, beyond updating it for materials the majority of the book is still 100% current for today.

It is a goldmind if you haven't seen it.

Jamie

Brian Kelly

@bkelly

I found it at our local library, along with BPL's handbook. You are right, it is an interesting read and while some of the projects seemed dated, many of them could be done today and no one would realize that the plans have been around for over 20yrs. I would love to find a copy to purchase, but for now I can at least get it for 3-4 weeks at a time.

Again, kudos to Vick for a great book.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

copies available for purchase at Amazon…

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

thanks I just picked up a copy

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

I have had Vick's book, and a half a dozen others, for over a year.

I first got them from the local library via interlibrary loans. After deciding they were worth it, I bought them via Amazon.com or Abebooks.com.

I was just at the "friends of the library" sale, and there were three copies of the famous Reader's Digest Sewing Book, on sale for $0.25. I picked up my third copy of this classic work to give away when I give away one of the old sewing machines I buy and refurb.

Harald Loeffel

@hikingharry

Locale: Tyrol - Austria

I bought Vick Rolling Hines book 1993 in Edmonton after a folding-kayak trip in the NWT´s in a 2nd hand bookstore. I learned most of my sewing techniques from this book.

Ever since I read vickrhines posts here on BPL I posed myself the same question as the thread opener.

And after having seen some other books about sewing, this is still my favotite. I even learned how to convert inches to cm and back, not easy for a metric European. :)

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Dang, this is embarrassing!
    Yes, I did write How to Make Your Own….blah, blah.

Please consider it an interesting artifact; the designs are rather dated, I think, and materials have changed a lot in 27 some-odd years, although the philosophy is still current, since it is reflected in the MYOG forums here and elsewhere.

The book is a picture into a time before the Internet – when we few, we happy few, labored alone to develop practical UL gear. And did not have the valuable feedback of other experimenters worldwide.

Vick (AKA Spock, AT 04 & 07)

Paul Nanian

@paulnanian

Vick, you're being far too modest: your book is a classic. That it came from the era pre-internet when gearmakers worked in relative vacuums makes it all the more impressive.

Paul AYCE Nanian

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Paul,
    Thanx, but you help make my point: the book may have historical interest, but you can glean better designs from this forum. Many hands make light work and many minds make light.
    Vick

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Ok I went into my closet and dug out the oldest garmet that I still own. It is a MYOG wind parka that I designed based on the patterns from Vick's book. If I have year right this jacket is 26 years old…I made it when I was 14. Lucky I designed it to be large:)

It was made from lightweight ripstop nylon. It has a hood, 2 front cargo pockets that are also hand pockets with a 2-way zipper. All things I learned from the book. I made the pattern out of newspaper. It weighs 8.95 oz…yes heavy for us today but I didnt have access to the lightweight hardwear items of today.

jacket

I still think many of the designs have relevance…yes Vick I hope in almost 30 years we have improved beyond your book, but none the less it is a nice peice of work that inspired me. Just recently I started a Minitent…I took your tent and made it a bit smaller. I ran the seam down the ridgeline (uses more fabric) and added a catenary cut. It looks like I might have it down to 12 oz (plus stake weight). It should be done this weekend. I will post pics.

Jamie

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools