Topic

Sealing a tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Sealing a tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Black

@thehikingdude

I just got my Tarptent Rainbow. Any suggestions or gotcha’s I need to be aware of before I start the process of seam sealing?

Thanks, Jeff

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

Jeff,
    A small thing to note that I ran into with the Rainbow, is that the cross strut at the top is sheathed in non-siliconized nylon. I found that this collected water and if rained on enough, easily seeps thru and readily drips down inside the tent.

I am not sure if this is the best method to fix this, but I just ran a layer of seam sealer all accross that material on the inside. Now my Rainbow can withstand my testing of blasting it with the garden hose without a drop getting through.

Jeff Black

@thehikingdude

I’m going backpacking in a week with a new Tarptent Rainbow and have not sealed it yet. It’s a sure thing that it will rain. According to my sealant it needs to be 60F or above to use it. The odds of that this time of year is slim to none. Any advice?

Has anybody tried a Rainbow in the rain before sealing, if so how did it do?

Thanks!!!!

jeff

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

Seal it inside or within your garage, then after about an hour, take it outside so the fumes aren’t too bad. :)

Jeff Black

@thehikingdude

I may give that a try. Worse case scenario I will just bring my sealed BD Lighthouse. Waking up to a wet bag just doesn’t do it for me.

-jeff

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools