Topic

Activent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Activent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Anybody have information/experiences with Activent? My understanding is that this is what Gore used to call what is now Windstopper. It was used for a bit in light shells, etc.

I remember seeing stuff that noted it was completely waterproof itself, but that it wasn’t seam-sealed so didn’t get the waterproof tag. Also often referred to casually as “Gore Tex Light”.

Just picked up an old anorak in great shape made of it – curious how far I can stretch its use.

Thanks for any info!

-Curt

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

I have a marmot activent anorak in red and a pair of rain pants in blue by some nameless manufacturer. It has served me well and is extraordinarily breathable while still being waterproof. But not at the seams and there is the rub and the reason you don’t see it anymore for breathable waterproof shells. It was an in-between material that never found its nitch. It can’t really be seam sealed well (I have tried with limited success)but for most light rain uses, it will suffice. THe bottom line is that so many newer and much lighter fabics have come on the market that activent has been relegated to the dust bin of backpacking history except in the windstopper formulation.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools