Topic

Insul Bright in a Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Insul Bright in a Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gregg Martell
    BPL Member

@gmartell

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Has anyone tried using Insul Bright in a quilt? First question is it breathable enough for a quilt. Seems I read somewhere that it was, but can no longer find the reference. While I realize there is not r-rating associated with it – alone it might make a pretty good summer quilt. I wonder what kind of temperature rating a quilt made of 2.5 oz XP and a layer of Insul Bright would be?

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

It doesn't seem to compress very well. Don't you think it might turn out kind of bulky?

Gregg Martell
    BPL Member

@gmartell

Good point – I hadn't really thought about how well it would compress. I think my wife has a yard of it laying around here someplace. If I can find it, I can see how small that will compress and guestimate how much volume a quilt of just Insul Bright would take.

One thing you wouldn't have to worry about is loft retention, since the insulating value is in the reflectivity. It could be compressed hard and not loose any thermal efficency.

Thanks

Ted DeWeese

@tedinski

Locale: Suburbs outside of the Sticks

How'd it all work out?

I've been looking at Insul-Bright as the inside layer for a bottom-quilt for a camping hammock.

Did you ever find specifications on the material? Did it breathe as well as you expected?

Thanks!!!
    Tedinski

Gregg Martell
    BPL Member

@gmartell

Ted –

This was just one of those projects that I never really got around to. Still want to try it though. I see that you have another thread going that interesting.

Gregg

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

While the material is breathable, do realize that it isn't super breathable – its center core is mylar after all. It is good at doing what it does…but add in a large human all night and you may well over do it with sweating and just simple night time perspiring.

Gregg Martell
    BPL Member

@gmartell

That is a concern. I've done "survival weekends" with scouts using only a mylar blanket down to freezeing. It works, but I was soaked due trapped moisture. Since Insul Bright is "punctured" mylar, I was thinking it might have more breathability. If it isn't, it would kill the quilt idea.

Ted DeWeese

@tedinski

Locale: Suburbs outside of the Sticks

:)

I remember those days!
    I taught wilderness survival up in the ADK's for a summer… but we didn't bring any mylar blankets. I have used them in the past, when a whole load of gear got absolutely soaked in 33F water, middle of winter! It was the coldest night I've ever spent, but I must admit that I DID wake up in the morning. ;)

I think I'll experiment by using a thin quilt (the kind for sitting in the living-room!) surrounded by a layer of the Insul-Bright. In the other thread, it was mentioned that the Insul-Bright should be kept around 3/4" from body heat…

It should be pretty obvious if the Insul-Bright makes a big difference.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Here is a pretty funny story a customer told me (who posts here as well!) ;-)

She has a friend from the East who came out to hike with them in early season. Someone did NOT bring a hat and is of the lesser haired type. They ended up wearing the custom FBC UL steamer bag sized cozy as a hat during the night.

Their head stayed quite toasty.

lol…..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools