Topic

Cleanliness on the trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Cleanliness on the trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

From a discussion with a couple of scientists studying aquatic life, I learned that the big problem is people swimming in lakes and streams with sunscreen and insect repellent and other lotions on their skins. These are very harmful, even in small quantities, to sensitive species, especially amphibians. It isn't the crud on your rear but the gunk you put on your skin that is the problem! At least do a thorough removal of those items before jumping in.

I use a damp rag (half a Handi-WIpe, really fast-drying) on hands face, neck and ears with leftover lukewarm water from dinner prep. One alcohol wipe each evening applied to pits and skin folds while getting ready for bed, cleaning the bottom at the cathole with first TP and then a wet wipe (packed out, of course) (sorry, MikeC, I have a medical condition requiring their use) and a daily rinse of feet work fine for me. If my hands get too grubby, I'll use sand to scour them; otherwise I use hand sanitizer. I generally don't bring soap at all.

I normally launder only socks; I bring a 2-gallon ziplock bag as a "washing machine." I've found that 2-3 rinses, without soap, works fine (with soap the socks get really stiff unless you use 4-5 rinses).

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Once my son an I rinsed off at the side of a mountain lake after a long, warm day. We had not been using suntan lotion, bug repellent, or anything else on our skin. Afterwards we waded into the lake and splashed around.

After a while we noticed a slick emanating from the two of us. I figure it was just body oil or perhaps from our hair. I was kind of shocked because the slick was so large. Of course oil can spread out extremely thin on water, sometimes to a thickness of a single molecule (did you do that experiment in Physics lab?), so there may not have been much oil on the water.

We got out and just hoped that since the oil was natural it would be broken down quickly by bacteria or whatever.

Harlan Bruce

@gbruce

Locale: DFW MetroPlex

These are comfy and smell much less bad than anything else. I typically will wear the same stuff five days in a row with (at least to me, anyway) few odor problems. You can't do that with any synthetics, no matter how treated – they smell to high heaven.

I'm wearing a gray smartwool tee in the photo and always have a long=sleeve tee to put on over it as the next layer. Zip crew necks are great.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I figure it was just body oil

Poly-alcohol, an utterly vital part of your skin/body/physiology. Without it on your skin you would dehydrate very quickly. Forms a mono-molecular layer on water. NOT the same as sunscreen or anti-perspirant, by any means. Ignore.

Cheers

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

One of the best things about hot summer days is jumping in a near freezing creek. We start hiking not long after dawn so around 1 or 2, off go the shoes and a fully clothed jump in. It isn't "getting clean" it does though take all the dust and grime off and most of all..it lowers your body tempature. You just feel 'good' after. For me I feel hydrated after a long dip like that.

I drip dry while eating a snack then hike with damp clothes. Perfect before a long uphill…the breeze going through damp clothes is heaven when it is 85*!

(I don't wear sunscreen, bug spray or deodorant when hiking)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I often take my bandana and after dinner, with leftover warm water I scrub my face and hands, then wipe dry with the bandana. I also use leftover water to brush my teeth with as it is SO much nicer than freezing cold water for the final rinse…..

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> so around 1 or 2, off go the shoes and a fully clothed jump in.

Or you can pour it over you …
    .7549HatOfWater

Yes, the water was ice cold, and lovely!

Cheers

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

yes, permethrin especially. i'm not 100% certain, but i'm about 90% sure that stuff is harmful to frogs and some fish

having said that, i do like to soak my feet in the creek after i get to camp. my shamwow serves as both washcloth and towel. my permethrin clothes (socks, trail runners) are off me at this point

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

"What shoes?
    Inov8's is my guess."

Nope. I think they were called Solomon Pro something or other. My feet are on the left. I prefer the shoes that are on the right. But sadly those Montrail Continental Divides aren't made anymore.
    shoes

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

My Salomon XT Wings do the same thing. Feet look like this after a couple hours. Even let in some "pieces". Haven't gone the distance in them. Not sure I will.

Usually take a 5L Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink or just use cooker. Warmish water. Tried two things — slather on the original Cetaphil (doesn't need rinsing) and then wipe down with a damp nubby 3M dishcloth (bandana would do but I prefer a dedicated rag). Rinsing the cloth occasionally in the warm water. Takes a fair bit of Cetaphil to do the job. When I have the "sink" I soak my feet in there for a bit at the end. I do this in stages — washing part at a time and putting my long underwear (sleepwear) on — to avoid getting too cold.

Have also tried a few drops of Dr. Bronner's in my "sink" or cooker full of warm water — scrubbing with the damp cloth. Don't bother to rinse it off.

Yeah, when I'm tired and hungry, cold water is not an option. I've tried the REI wipes — don't really get the job done.

If I'm going to be out for days/weeks in warm weather, I prefer to keep all skin covered — ultralight wool long sleeve half zip and ultralight wool tights under very lightweight shorts (not terribly durable) or a very lightweight stretch nylon pant — instead of using sunscreen which I find to be a grime magnet.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

If the water to wash up in is too cold, fill up a bottle and let it ride around in your pack in the sun for a while. Then wash up with it later. Washing up at mid-day when it's warm and then doing a touch-up before bed is a good suggestion, too.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Might have already posted but it is amazing how much cleaner you can stay if you avoid sunscreen! Cover up — UL wool is the NZ way. Cooler too, IMO! Sunscreen is HOT — skin doesn't seem to breathe as well. Convinced that sunscreen and the grime it attracts cause "zits", "spots", folliculitis, whatever your preferred term is. No farmer's tan either!

Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)

I second with Diane on warming your water bottle before you wash. You can also do this by adding little boiling water and mixing it with cold water when you cook.

All you need is little water for your private areas to feel relatively clean, am I right or wrong??

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

I prefer some mild cleanser — like the original cetaphil. I do remove it with a warm wet rag, rinsing often. Cetaphil is designed to be used without rinsing and recommended for use even in babies and the most sensitive individuals so I don't worry about a little residue. Yes, I concentrate on 4 places and I have my own special order. LOL You can work out your own order — I start with my face…. My feet go last and get a good soak and scrub in my 5L Sea to Summit kitchen sink of warm water. Note by this time, the rest of me is bundled up.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Nobody's mentioned sponges. I used half of a sponge on the PCT for my nightly before-bed foot scrubs and fairly frequent crotch, leg, armpit, etc. scrubs. The rough side of the sponge is good for scrubbing. Washing is essential for keeping fungus under control.

The other half of the sponge was for dishwashing, but I hardly ever used it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Ah yes, the sponge bath. Would you believe that Sue and I have actually done this (with warm water!) inside a double-skin tent in the snow? OK, the tent had the sun on it at the time.

However, you must get the terminology right:
    An English sponge bath: from the waist upwards.
    A French sponge bath: from the waist downwards.

Cheers

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

thrush wrote:

"A few days before the tour I shave myself on every place I want to keep odor-free (don't do this the first time right before a tour, better have it done a few times before!), and right before the tour I apply a long-time deodorant (a german one called "syNeo") wich suppresses sweat for a few days, you should have similiar stuff available where you live (this stuff is excellent and safe, don't worry, but a little bit expensive)."

Probably a lot of merit to shaving down a few days before. Scrubbing with loofah for a few days after the shave to prevent ingrown hairs, zits, folliculitis (irritation of the hair follicle).

In the anti-perspirant department, I have recently discovered a cream anti-perspirant by Kiehls (it could put in a small jar and dabbed out).
    http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/body/all-sport-formulations/superbly-efficient-anti-perspirant-and-deodorant.htm

It is not terribly cheap. You can also buy it at Nordstrom and some other department stores in the cosmetic department. It is fragrance free and has a nice feel. I have really only used it on the under arms. I suspect it would be suitable for use elsewhere — for example on the feet in someone who feels they could benefit from this. I believe there are several prescription anti-perspirants available in the US. Personally, have not felt the need to investigate.

I googled thrush's syNeo. Here is their website: http://www.syneo.de/pdf/Flyer_syNeo5_GB.pdf

BTW, "thrush" — what does this mean in the context of your username? The British often use this term to describe a yeast/candida infection.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Thrushes are also birds. The wood thrush has the most awesome song I've heard.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

"Thrushes are also birds." Thanks for refreshing my memory. This being a cleanliness thread, had that other thrush on my mind.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

>However, you must get the terminology right:
    >An English sponge bath: from the waist upwards.
    >A French sponge bath: from the waist downwards.

An there is a bit of trivia that will be forever etched in my mind…….

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

http://www.syneo.de/pdf/Flyer_syNeo5_GB.pdf
    Thanks for the scoop, thrush — looks like amazing stuff. I am going to get some! Even if I have to order from Germany.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

This thread was really helpful but I do have one question it didn't seem to address.

For those that wash your body/hair, do you bother treating that water?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Absolutely.

I also treat lakes and streams when swimming.

:)

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Yeah, stupid question of the day.

Nate Lee
    BPL Member

@nathan52

mind over matter. You know it's a constant losing fight. I seriously question if you've ever really been on a long trip away from civilization. See what happens is, you want to feel clean so you insist on taking bathing measures. This is a losing battle while you're out there. You guys on the AT/PCT etc keep running into towns every 4 days, and so you see the disparity between yourself and the others and so you feel you must bathe. G'head and get in the bush for 3 months and you'll stop caring after the first week. I've done several of these and once it was even mandated by NOLS "you shall not bathe" (india trip '02) in the creeks or otherwise. Does the bathing feel good? Yes, but only because your mind is tricking you. It's just water and you're just you.

Bathe if you must but don't spoil the water source with your soaps.

Imo, you're satiating a want not a need. /first aid aside.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools