Topic

A couple Sierra outings

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports A couple Sierra outings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Leor Pantilat

@pantilat

Locale: Bay Area

I just learned about this excellent resource recently. Here are a couple links to trips I did in the High Sierra September 23-24 with video and many photos.

Stanford Loop:
    http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/910976/TR_Stanford_Loop_Adventure_Run#Post910976

Middle Palisade:
    http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/911020/TR_Middle_Palisade_Northeast_F#Post911020

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Following your route from maps #2 and #3 of the Harrison JMT set, I hope you gave Caltech Peak a wide berth, its only 200' lower than Stanford. Just looking at the contour lines, I think I might have headed for Lucy's Foot Pass instead of Milly's. Wow, that is an ambitious one day hike or run. I think (in fact I know) I would take a shelter and camp by one of the Lakes and I don't think I would even be jogging at that altitude.
    From Robinson Lake is the pass between University Peak and Center Basin Crags.? That looks like a very step climb down to the JMT

Where exactly are the Palisades you climbed? Are they near Mather Pass? They do not look like the Palisades Lakes in that area.

Leor Pantilat

@pantilat

Locale: Bay Area

Thanks! Caltech Peak and it's South Ridge were completely avoided. I went down to ~11,800 on the JMT coming down from Forester Pass before heading West up and into Upper Kern Basin.

Lucy's Foot Pass works too, although I believe there is even more unstable boulders to negotiate on the north side of Lucy's. Moreover, Milly's Foot Pass is the most direct route to Lake Reflection, which I wanted to include in the loop.

University Pass is between University Peak and University Crags, and it is a steep descent!

Middle Palisade is right above Mather Pass. I climbed Middle Palisade via the South Fork Big Pine (East side) so the lakes are not the ones near Mather Pass. From the JMT, the Palisades are viewed from the West.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools