Topic

MLD Exodus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Exodus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Looking for some user experience with the MLD Exodus – fit, finish, and durability and as well, perspective for those that had cross shopped it with the ULA Conduit….thanks,

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Hey David,
    I own an MLD Super Zip which is the older version of the Exodus and my wife used to have the Conduit. If I were to repurchase right now I would get the Conduit. The packs are very similar in quality and durability but there are a few extra's on the Conduit I like better (internal pad holder and better side pockets). The new lower price on the Conduit is pretty nice too. That said my Super Zip is not going anywhere. It is bomber simplicity at close to its best.

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

I received an Exodus not too long ago. Hasn't seen a whole lot of use yet, but I can say the fit is pretty good, and Ron's craftsmanship is probably the best I have seen. I do wish it had some sort of pad straps on the inside though.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks Guys!

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I've got the older Zip, and the Conduit.
    Both are great sacks, and packing style might be a factor if making a choice. Outwith winter, i tend to use a CCF mat for sleeping, and pack structure. The MLD packs (i mostly use a Prophet for 3 season use now) are more of a tube shape, and take an internal foam mat, loosely rolled, perfectly. My Conduit is more teardrop shaped, and you can have some dead space in the bottom corners if using the unrolled CCF mat for structure. I tend to use a GG torso pad with the Conduit.
    Both packs are well made and show no sign of wear, despite regular off trail use.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Hi Mike W,

Can I presume from your comments that you haven't found the volume reduction feature on the Exodus to be effective? I am trying to decide between a Prophet and an Exodus currently. Although the Exodus is almost 30% larger overall the main compartment is only 20% larger.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

"The only issue for me is that your pack contents need to compress well enough to give the Exodus some shape (stiffness). "

Another good technique is to use your sleeping pad to provide a frame. Line the pack with a garbage bag. Roll up the pad (I'm using the Gossamer Gear foam pad at a scant 8 oz.) and put it in the garbage bag. Slip your fist inside the pad and pound hard back and forth until the the pad expands to fill the backpack. The harder it is to do so and the longer it takes are good things. They mean that the foam is sticking well against the foam and providing the proper rigidity.

Put your sleeping bag on top. No stuff sack is better, but if you use one, use a big one. Allow the sleeping bag to expand to fill the available space, and roll up the garbage bag.

These steps not only protect the sleeping-bag loft, but they also eliminate the need for any kind of compression of the bag, even with small loads.

My pad in my Alpine Ridge (from Fanatic Fringe and only 6.3 oz with sternum strap) perfectly fills the main compartment and goes around almost twice, which provides a good deal of rigidity for its 8 oz.

I'm sure the technique will work just as well with the MLD packs based on what I've seen of them.

Cordially,

Stargazer

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I agree with Mike on this, def had a tough time getting my Super Zip to compress to smaller load at first. But after several months of playing with different bungee config's to the different lashing points I was able to get a system down that works well for day hiking sized loads.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the update. You may know this, but the Prophet and the Exodus now have the same hip belt. Making the my decision even tougher now:). How many days trip (and with what base weight) do you find is needed to fill the Exodus so that it is nice and compact?

Cheers,

J

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

From MLD website http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=106&osCsid=6f5abb28b6a39ed4bcc21ee0f1987854

UPDATE: SEP 2009 Padded Waist Belt Wings: Same as the Exodus Pack- see Exodus pack for example.
    (Old style Prophet strippable waist belt shown below no longer available)

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

My son has & uses this excellent pack (in terms of fit, finish, and durability). He is now 15 and has a 7-1/2 lb to 8 lb base weight. With a folded up Z-Rest (cut down) or a GG NightLight it transfers weight very effectively to the hip belt. The quality of construction is outstanding. Ron Bell the owner is great and its refreshing how much he stands behind his products.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I didn't see a thread anywhere else mentioning this, so I thought I'd chime in. I love this pack. It's very comfortable and carries my usual Fall 12 lb base weight extremely well, the most I've had in it is probably 25 lbs when cameling water and extra gear backpacking with my 8 year old and it was still extremely comfortable. Quality is TOP notch, as I think all MLD gear is.

Here's the new update I'd like to add – A few weeks ago a small package showed up from MLD, that I hadn't ordered. It was a minor update to the ends of the carbon fiber rod that's supposed to prevent any premature wear at the point the rod ends sit in the pack, easy enough to do, and I doubt the old setup would have ever caused me a problem. Along with the detailed instructions and parts, Ron also included a silnylon stuff sack as a "thanks" for doing the update. I'm extremely impressed by this, first off, that MLD went to the trouble and expense of proactively sending an improvement, but also something to say "thanks for updating your pack". Way above and beyond what I expect, testament to MLD's outstanding products and attitude toward their customers. MLD is at the very top of my list for anything I need in the future. Thanks Ron!

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Art,

Was this for the Exodus FS? I own this pack as well but I haven't received anything in the mail in regards to a fix

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools