Topic

Optimal pot height for tea light stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Optimal pot height for tea light stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

What is the optimal height to have your beer can pot over the tea light stove? either from the ground or the tea light itself…

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I suggested this before but never had any comments about it, so I don't know if it is correct or not…
    What I do is to bring the water to boil independently (gas stove) then I move the pot over the flame and lift the pot up and down. As you do that you should see that in one particular spot (distance from the flame) the boil is more vigorous. That is how I determine the distance.
    Franco

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

if you do that, I hope to see your results posted here. I seem to remember reading somewhere, that there's a fair amount of latitude. I'm betting the best range is from flame just touching the pot to flame just starting to go up the side of the pot.

Stephen Cohen
    Spectator

@esteban

Locale: Northeast

I have not done very rigorous testing, but I use a 2 inch tall can with holes as a pot stand for my tealight with fiberglass. I get flames just barely up the sides of my pot and get a pretty quick boil. The test mentioned by Franco sounds like a pretty good idea though. May try that myself.

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Thanks guys. Let me know how your tests go. I have the feeling 2 inches is somewhere in the right ballpark.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Stephan is right in my experience. 2" seems to be the optimal height.

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Thanks Jason

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools