Topic

Posting a Long Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Posting a Long Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

My gear list is about 120 lines long, in Excel. How do I include it in a post? (Not my Profile)

In Excel I can Save As a pdf, and then from the pdf Export to JPG, but that results in 3 JPGs based on Excel's page breaks, which I would then have to stitch together in Illustrator, or GIMP. Tedious. Messy. Ugly. And I don't what to go the Google Apps route.

Tips or Tricks?

Thanks.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

why not take the link to your excel file in your profile page and embed it as a link in your post?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"why not take the link to your excel file in your profile page and embed it as a link in your post?"

Because that ties the thread to a Gear List which will change over time – making the thread nonsensical.

Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York

Greg,

If there are three pages you could just export the PDFs to jpgs and then upload 3 jpg images. I don't see why you would need to splice them. But if you know about Gimp, you probably know a lot about this, so I am guessing I am missing something.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Try it.
    You'll see why.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Greg, but it would be nice if at your profile page you did upload your Gear List — I don't see it. I have a lengthy gear list at my profile page. I'd like to see yours.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

It took some rooting around, but here it is – provided your version of Excel (.xlsx) has these features.

(If your version is old (.xls) use File/Page Setup, Scale, and then create a PDF manually with Adobe Acrobat.)

Before anything else, Do a Save As to create a copy of your Excel files and work on that, to preserve the original.

There only 3 Steps, the first 2 in Excel, the 3rd in Adobe:
    1)Page Layout/Scale
    2)Save As – PDF
    3)Export – JPG

First, in Excel, in the Menu Bar, select Page Layout, and then Scale to Fit.

Change the Height to a number big enough to capture your spreadsheet. In my case '3 pages' does it. (CLUE: When I previewed or printed, I saw 3 pages.)

GearListPageScaling3

Next, do a " Save As" to an Adobe PDF, and you will get a single long page document.

Last, open the file in Acrobat, and click on EXPORT. In my case I chose to export a JPEG –

ExportLongPDF

Which, when Inserted into a BPL post [the 'Insert Image at Cursor' button is above and right of the Comments box], looks like this –

JMTList4RoleighPDFsmallJPG

Neat and Clean.
    As long as you want.
    And you can actually read it.

The Gear List is preserved in the thread, and any future changes to your Gear List won't have an impact.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Greg:

You must have a newer version of Excel than I do. There is no "scale to fit" function in Excel 2002, nor do I have the option of saving as a pdf.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Bob –

darn…
    sorry.

The old version of Excel has the Scale function under File/Page Setup – it's in the middle of the window.

Create a PDF with the Adobe Acrobat 8.0 or so, and then export. It will suck in an .xls just fine.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

There is a thread from 2007 that has a few hints:
    2007 Thread

Hope that helps!

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Mike,
    Does it honor or ignore the page breaks that the native program creates?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Thanks for the info Mike.
    CutePDF sounds like a good tool.

Edit: I see that another app called 'GhostScript' must also be installed.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools