Topic

Reading glasses

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Reading glasses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Roger, thanks for the report- that would have been my problem after leaving my good ones home-

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I more or less agree on the "pinch on nose bridge" type of mini-reading glasses that can fit in a wallet. Thanks (and I do mean thanks) to the link given earlier, I also ordered something like three sets of these, and after some experimentation I think I'll be fine with these replacing my formerly "lighter than usual" reading glasses. The ones I had been carrying were in a small metal tube (smaller than normal drug store reading glasses), and are basically normal reading glasses but with less vertical glass. I would have to hold my head at just the right angle and get in the habit of keeping it there in order to read.

In that context, the pinch-on-nose-bridge type aren't necessarily a step down so much as a step sideways. More ~glass (lense anyway) to see through, but at the cost of a less comfortable way of wearing them. Since they are lighter and pack small, I think I can get used to them.

Note that I don't tend to want to use these when on the trail; it's possible that will change as my vision continues to degrade (one foot on a banana peel and the other one …). But for now, at least, sweat isn't an issue for me, but a good thing to keep in mind.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

I'll third I4U lenses (i4ulenses.com). I've used them since 2003. They are about the lightest, most compact and durable reading glasses anywhere. I attach a string and an alligator clip and just let them dangle when not in use.

Kurt Thompson

@katphood

Locale: Bay Area, Calif.

Happened to me about age 46 or so. I have two pair of Rx glasses: one for home, one for work.

For BP, check my latest Rx, then got the closest approximation down at Longs / CVS for about $15.

They are a necessity for fishing.

John Taylor
    BPL Member

@jtaylor

Locale: Shenandoah

My close up vision started to go a few years back. I got a credit car sized magnifier lense that stays in my wallet for help with the menus, quick reads when I'm out, that sort of thing. I also keep a small rectangular pocket magnifier in the car for reading maps and such. At home I'm using a pair of 1.0 readers from the drug store. Not great for prolonged periods so I plan to change those very soon.

I'm heading to the eye doc next week for an annual checkup. I plan to ask for a prescription for a pair of 1.0 readers and spend the $$ for a custom pair that work for prolonged periods. Some things about aging are great, but the eyes are just not one of them.

Nathan Stebner

@peacepipe

Locale: Northeast Ohio

John,

If your looking for a custom pair of glasses and don't want to spend the money you might consider http://www.zennioptical.com/cart/home.php, I've used them a few times and the quality is decant for the money. I think you can still get a complete pair of custom glasses for 8$ depending on materials.

All the best, Nathan Stebner

John Taylor
    BPL Member

@jtaylor

Locale: Shenandoah

Thanks Nathan!

Thomas Graham

@tomasito

Wow.

Awesome to be able to get a pair or two of backup eyeglasses for cheap.

Thanks for the link.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

zennioptical ++

I'm Very happy with the frames and lenses I've bought from them.
    Never had an issue with my prescription being off, have been able to alter orders, and they come in a light hardshell case.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

I just got it all wrapped in one set of glasses from Costco

Progressive Lens Bi-focals (ie: no line)
    Transitions – They get dark in sunlight.
    Scratch proof
    Anti-glare.

These really do the trick. I do have problems occasionally with the sweat issue though. I just put on a strap to keep them from falling into the dirt.

Brian Noble

@seldom_seen

Locale: South Side of Denver

This has been an increasing problem, for me, since turning 40 that I just found a solution to. I've been wearing glasses for 30+ yrs for an astigmatism, my near distance did not require correction till I approached 40. Single vision lenses or contacts were the norm until a few years ago the I started wearing Bifocals. As I aged my script kept increasing in power and I found it harder to adjust to the lenses with each increase. Add to that our recreational activities (sun screen and sweat made it impossible to keep glasses on as the thickness and weight increased) I simply gave up.

Recently my wife notice that my depth perception was getting worse and she started getting nervous when I was driving so she insisted I do something.

Not wanting to do the bifocals again, I started looking into multifocal contacts and I made an appointment to be fitted. I was disappointed to find out that multifocals wouldn't work for me (they have come a long way but aren't quite there yet, soon I hope)

So plan B. My Dr suggested, because of my history with bifocals and our activities, I try single vision contacts again with readers for near vision.

So far it has worked better than I expected. I am now farsighted and use readers only when needed. I recently ordered a set of sun glasses from The Rudy Project with interchangeable lenses, a couple of the lenses have the reading script in the bottom wih no correction in the top.

Brian Park

@brianpark

Hello Folks,

I'm a newbie but I wanted to share an image of something that might benefit those in need of some functional reading glasses. Please take a look.Flip Frames reading glasses

Just wanted to see if anything like this would interest you guys. Flip-Frames will be coming out early 2012. It will come in multiple powers and styles. You can even use your own prescription.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Are you commercially affiliated with this company?

–B.G.–

Brian Park

@brianpark

I am the inventor and creator of these glasses (Flip-Frames).

4 years was spent developing these glasses for the sole purpose of addressing similar issues addressed on this forum thread.

They are not being commercially sold at this time.

I hope there isn't an issue with the post. If so, sincerest apologizes and please take the necessary course of action.

Best,

Brian Park

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Make them bifocals and photochromatic for outdoors use.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Eyeglass frames for photographers (not necessarily reading glasses) have right and left sides that can be flipped up or down independently of one another.

–B.G.–

Brian Park

@brianpark

I'll keep everyone posted once we retail them. If Flip-Frames had the lenses you suggested, would those in your field purchase them?

Brian Park

@brianpark

Hi Guys!

As promised, I have some new information regarding Flip Frames. I cut up short video of my father (creator) explaining why he created Flip Frames in addition to some new pics and vids.

You can check them out at facebook.com/flipframes

Our goal is to get as many people as possible to 'like' the product. The more 'likes' we get, the more confidence it gives us to move forward with this project.

Again, we would greatly appreciate your support, so please 'like' the page to help get the word out there about these amazing reading glasses. I'll keep you posted on the manufacturing process and future design styles.

Best,

Brian

P.S. We're now in the process of creating Flip Frames 'Goggles'. Can you imagine the convenience that would be bring to hard-working manufacturing professionals!

Brian Park

@brianpark

Really could use your thoughts on our Flip-Frames launch. Check out the video at:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/…ewear?ref=live

and for information, visit

http://www.facebook.com/flipframes (Be sure to 'like' the page)

We need massive financial and word of mouth support to get this project going. Please help us… we know our glasses are going to make your lives so much easier!!! – Brian

Arlan Beeck

@highpeakdrifter

The Dollar Tree has reading glasses up to 3:50 diopter for ONE DOLLAR!

They're just as good as any other reading glasses I've used over the last 30 years.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

If your eyes are the same, and you don't have a severe astigmatism $1 glasses work.

For the rest of us, go to http://zennioptical.com, plug in your Rx and inter-pupilary distance, and in three weeks you'll have UL glasses delivered to your door for as little as $15. My wife's "designer" glasses cost $35.

+1 on the glaucoma check.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> in three weeks you'll have UL glasses delivered to your door
    I don't think it took Zenni that long. About half maybe.
    I have bought two pairs so far: one using my driving prescription and one as readers to go over contact lenses.
    The driving glasses turned out to be every bit as good as the $250+ pair from the optometrist. Very similar memory-Ti frames, but 1/10 the cost (literally).

Interesting.

(Yes, +2 on the glaucoma test.)

Cheers

Stuart Miyake
    BPL Member

@ssmiyake

Locale: Left Coast

I have used these stuck onto the bottom of my sunglasses for years as stealth magnification. I use contacts for distance but my up close has been slowly doing the "age dance". Since these are sold in pairs you can even use two different magnification adjustments to compensate if you need to. I have found these sold at the local CVX store but I usually hunt the net for the best price when I need to (and haven't for for a while). Durability is excellent and I have never had a lens fall off unless purposely soaked in water to remove them. Brief exposure to water hasn't been a problem.

http://optx2020.com/hydrotac.aspx

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools