Topic

Rum & Coke?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I had an idea the other day to make some lightweight booze.

One could make a rum & coke using water, 1/2 shot of 151 strength rum (ie. Bacardi 151) and a little squirt of coke syrup (the kind restaurants use). You wouldn't get the carbonation or the full rum taste since you're using 1/2 shot (or you could use a full shot of 151 and just have a 2x as strong drink). You would get quite a light drink though and you would also be getting a big dose of calories with that coke syrup.

Hmm….I wonder about just chugging coke syrup. I bet that's a super light way to get calories….it would probably kill you too though.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I'm going to grab some coke syrup from the bar I work at so I can see what it's like to make non-carbonated coke. I bet you don't need much syrup. This stuff is probably 1000 calories per oz.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

Dan,

I'm more of a red wine drinker….how about dehydrated red wine?

John

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Use an Alka-seltzer to get bubbles!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I love the idea of dehydrated red wine, but supposedly that stuff tastes gross. It amazes me that you can get 6% alcohol from a powder though…that just blows my mine. Imagine if they could make dehydrated pure alcohol…just add water and then fire up your stove :)

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

It's not lightweight or even remotely close to it… but here in Canada you can now buy some very nice wines in Tetra packs. I'm notorious for sneaking one of these into Bryan's backpack (good thing he doesn't read BPL, eh?). I carry my own "glass" though…

wine on a wilderness lake

My wineglass on a wilderness lake in the heart of Algonquin Provincial Park.

edited to add a photo…

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Back when I drank booze we'd do vodka and Crystal Light ;-) But…ya can get Coke in mini cans, 8 ounces? That would work!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

An 8oz can of Coke is a lot of weight considering the syrup to make this is probably 0.5oz. Hopefully I can get some coke syrup from work soon. I just need to wait until the 20 liter bag of syrup is almost empty so I'm only taking a little bit.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Packit Gourmet offers several dehydrated mixers. Just add alcohol and water. The Moonshine Margarita was quite delicious.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

True but i can tell you that the can will taste waaayyyy better than the syrup ;-)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Wow PackItCourment has some good looking meals…

Dave T

@davet

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

There was quite a group in the Sierras in the 70s that carried cherries soaked for a couple of weeks in 100 proof vodka.
    Anytime you mix sweet carbs, alcohol, and elevation things go boom. I watched one of the eras better climbers tumble and fall his way down Milly's Foot Pass.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Dan, they are ;-) very, very tasty!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I might try them for some meals on my next trip. I'm going on a 6 day hike in about 3 weeks, but I live in Canada and sometimes stuff takes that long (or longer) to get here, so I don't want to risk it for this trip.

dan willhite

@yutahay

Locale: Southwest USA

The Heritage store at Caycecures.com has sold this product for 30 years as an intestinal aid. Good for nausea and could be used for the "cuba libre" if you remember to take a lime.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Scotch. Single Malt. In a Snow Peak titanium flask. Just add mellow…..

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

The poster above is nuts!
    REI Ti mugs work just as well, just make sure you've got plenty of mellow… and cosmic wimpout! ;)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"REI Ti mugs work just as well"

Jesse, Jesse, Jesse …..

Ah, you youngsters. The flask is for carrying the scotch, not for drinking out of! I have a separate Ti 'scotch glass' for that! ;-)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I ended up bringing some Coke syrup home to make some 'Coke'. It took more syrup than I thought to make enough for a Rum & Coke. Probably about 2/3 of an fluid ounce for 1 cup of coke. It also tasted pretty lackluster….totally flat was worse that I was picturing. I think I'd rather just drink the Rum. 151 Rum is my beverage of choice since it's strong for the weight and can double as stove fuel in a pinch.

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

flasks are a tease :)… 1L platy's to hold our fuel!

next time your out mix a little coco and single malt…mmmmm!

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

Warm or cold coco?!?!

Jack

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

For weight reduction, you can't beat Everclear, which also works well in your alcohol stove. Doesn't have the flavor of scotch, but it'll tickle your innards on a chilly night. (Watch out for hypothermia on a cold one, however.) It's really just high-proof (190) vodka, so it mixes well with everything.

Not that I would drink alcohol on the trail, but emergency situation do crop up . . . :-)

Stargazer

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Adding 'stuff' to single malt?

Sacrilage!!!!!!

The very thought has made me need to go and lie down in a dark room.

With a single malt :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Adding 'stuff' to single malt?" = Johnny Walker?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools