Topic

3 Season / 3 Night Gear List *updated*

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3 Season / 3 Night Gear List *updated*

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rob Wolfenden

@wolverine

Locale: North East

I'm happy to say I shaved off close to 6 lbs by the end of the summer. I know I can save atleast another pound or more on my bag, but I'm lacking in the funds rite now. After trying out 2 others I've decided I'm keeping my pad for the time being. That extra bit of weight is well worth the extra sleep. Something I don't get enough of at home haha. I want to try this set up now that it's a little colder and see how much more I can spare.

Pack & Sleep System : [ 118.9 oz. / 7.43 lbs.]
    Frameless Pack – 30.5 oz w/Hefty Bag Liner
    30 Degree Sleeping Bag – 48 oz
    Self Inflating Sleeping Pad – 24.4 oz
    Tarp w/ Ground Sheet- 16 oz

Cooking: [ 5.7 oz.]
    Bud Can Stove – 0.4 oz
    Pot Stand/Wind Screen – 0.7 oz
    Brunton My-Ti Foldable Titanium Spork – 0.6 oz
    Titanium Cup – 2.5 oz
    24oz Heineken Pot- 1.6 oz

Clothing in pack: [ 34 oz. / 2.13 lbs.]
    Poncho – 8 oz
    LS Shirt – 7 oz
    Underwear – 1.5 oz
    Long Socks – 2.5 oz
    Long Johns – 7 oz
    Balaclava – 2 oz
    Gloves – 2 oz
    Beanie – 2 oz
    Towel – 2 oz

Toiletries: [ 6.55 oz.]
    Travel Size Tooth Brush – 0.75 oz
    Baking Soda – 0.3 oz
    Toilet Paper – 2 oz (in ziplock)
    Travel Size Gold Bond – 1.5 oz
    Liquid Dial – 1 oz
    Deet – 1 oz

Misc. Gear: [ 11.6 oz.]
    First Aid Kit – 2.9 oz (in ziplock)
    Flashlight – 1.04 oz w/ extra battery
    Notebook w/ Duct Tape Wrapped Pen – 2.75 oz
    Cord – 50 ft. – 2 oz
    Hefty Bag – 0.5 oz
    AquaMira Tabs – 0.7 oz
    Titanium Stakes x6 – 1.71 oz

Consumables: [ 130.7 oz. / 8.17 lbs.]

Food – 59.7 oz
    Alcohol – 5 oz
    Water Bottle x2 – 66 oz full

Worn / Carried Weight: [ 85.65 oz. / 5.35 lbs.]

Hat – 3.75 oz
    Sunglasses – 1.5 oz
    Bandana – 0.5 oz
    Knife – 1.25
    Small Bic Lighter – 0.4 oz
    Shorts – 7.5 oz
    Belt – 2.25 oz
    Shirt – 5.5 oz
    Shoes – 38 oz
    Ankle Socks – 2 oz
    Underwear – 1.5 oz
    Fleece – 17 oz
    ID, Credit Card, Cash – 0.5 oz
    Cell Phone – 4 oz
    Map – 0.5 oz
    Compass – 0.5 oz

– Base Pack Weight: 176.75 oz. / 11.05 lbs.
    – Consumables: 130.7 oz. / 8.17 lbs.
    – Worn / Carried: 85.65 oz. / 5.35 lbs.
    – Total Weight: 393.1 oz. / 24.57 lbs.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice work shaving off 6lbs ^_^

Here's some thoughts:

1) This is pure semantics, but it seems a little questionable to consider your 17oz fleece as 'worn' gear. If it's cold enough that you are hiking with this on, then you are going to freeze in camp, since you don't have any other warm top layers (unless that 7oz LS shirt is a lot warmer than I think it is). I'd move this fleece to 'clothing in pack'.

2) 20oz of food per day might be a bit low unless you are really using high calorie foods. I think normally UL hikers plan on 1.5 – 2 lbs daily (24-32oz).

3) Consider replacing the fleece with something half the weight like a Montbell U.L. Down Inner Parka (8.5oz). This would replace your beanie as well (2oz) so it would save 10.5oz and probably be warmer and pack smaller. Look for a used one in the classifieds.

4) As you know, your sleeping bag and pad could be considerably lighter. These two plus your fleece are likely the 3 biggest areas you could save weight.

5) Balaclava & Beanie?

6) You should probably pack two mini Bic lighters, or supplement your Bic with another firestarting method so you aren't screwed if your lighter fails.

7) 38oz is a lot for shoes and your feet a bad spot to carry weight because your feet are moving up and down in addition to the distance they cover. You could probably save up to a pound off your shoes.

8) You list your 2 bottles of water at 66oz, or 33oz per bottle. Are these 1 liter bottles? A liter of water weighs 35.2oz. You should list the bottles in your pack weight and then just the water in consumables to keep things clear. It doesn't really matter except that others can't how much weight in bottles you are carrying when you lump them together.

9) No pants? You are just going to wear shorts and long underwear around camp? That's fine if you are….just wanted to make sure you aren't forgetting something.

10) You probably don't need 2oz of toilet paper. You can probably get by with 1oz for 1 person for 3 days….then again, that second oz might provide some nice peace of mind if you aren't feeling well.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Rob, now the fun begins… how do I get it lower… you might never stop.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

This sort of thing has to be a long term plan anyway. Try to do it too fast and you will burn through some bucks.

I agree with above. You will need more food. That will probably end up under 3000 calories. I can barely survive on 28oz per day, but 32oz is better.

I figure food, 2L water and fuel for 2 days is about 7.6#
    3 days 9.5#
    5 days 13#

Some things to do later..

Lighter bag. Golite quilts go on sale every now and then and a very light. That would save you 28 oz alone.

A Montbell spiral #1 weighs 2# if you like full bags.

The pad has got to go later. Get a neoair and a GG 1/8 or walmart blue pad.

Might want to add a bug tent too.

Good job on the kitchen. You might want to look at my last setup. Fosters can inside a country time lemonade container. Its crush proof. A heineken can will not fit inside one.

Yep shoes/boots are heavy. I forget the old rule, but I think it was 1# on your feet is worth 5# on your back.

Henry Blake
    BPL Member

@dragon

Locale: Minnesota

I'm surprised no one mentioned the pack would be an easy place to save some weight. I think there are plenty of options that are lighter than nearly two pounds. A used GoLite Jam weighs about 20 oz. off the shelf before trimming. Trim the straps/+ for at least 2 oz. of savings. Someone on this site should have a reasonably priced used one for sale. To save more money, try sewing a simple pack.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

A Jam weighs:

2010 – 31 oz
    2009 – 26 oz
    2008 – 21 oz

Trimming the straps saves about 1oz. Removing the hydration bladder saves 1-1.2oz and removing the foam backpad saves another ounce. My 2009 Jam weighs 23oz with these mods done.

I'm not sure what the OP has done, but he might be able to lower his existing pack pretty close to this. If he is going to buy a Jam to save weight then he'd be best off to go with a 2008 model since the 2009 is only a few ounces lighter than what he has now so it wouldn't be the best use of his gear dollars.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

My thoughts:

– I know you want to keep your pad, but you should still consider switching to a closed cell foam pad. Remember, if you are tired enough, you can pretty much sleep on anything. If you're not tired enough, hike more miles each day.

– As others have said, there are lighter packs and bags out there. When you have the funds, you should consider switching to lighter alternatives.

– Ditch the titanium cup… Your Heineken pot can double as your cup.

– You can get a cheap poncho that weighs less than 3 oz to replace the one you have.

– Ditch the towel, your bandanna can serve the same purpose.

– Bring less of all your toiletries, try and repackage all of them into smaller containers.

– Bring a few pieces of paper instead of a whole notebook.

– You could probably shave an ounce off your first aid kit.

– Why do you need a belt?

– As another member noted, it doesn't seem reasonable to list your 17 oz fleece as a "worn" item. Most people would over heat very quickly with that on. This item definitely needs to be replaced with a lighter alternative. Down has the best weight to warmth ratio. Synthetic is better for wetter conditions as it doesn't effect the effectiveness of the fill.

-Sid

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

(nice list!)
    My notes and insights…

Frameless Pack – 30.5 oz w/Hefty Bag Liner – Get a lighter backpack, lots of 'em out there, and often they are cheap.

30 Degree Sleeping Bag – 48 oz – – That's heavy. If you wanna keep the porky pad, go with a lighter sleeping bag.

Self Inflating Sleeping Pad – 24.4 oz – – Overkill, but you say you wanna keep it. Just so y'know – You could easily save a full pound with a BPL torso-lite pad.

Tarp w/ Ground Sheet- 16 oz – You have a GIANT pad, so you can nix the ground sheet. You'll be fine.

Titanium Cup – 2.5 oz
    24oz Heineken Pot- 1.6 oz
    – – – Cup and Pot? No need for both, choose the lightest option.

Clothing in pack: Underwear – 1.5 oz
    You can easily nix these. No need for extra underwear, just wear one pair for the duration. You'll be fine.

Towel – 2 oz – No need, easily NIXED, you'll be fine without it.

Toiletries: [ 6.55 oz.] – Wow, 6.55 is a LOT.

Toilet Paper – 2 oz (in ziplock) – Easily nixed, the weight goes to zero if you leave it behind.

Travel Size Gold Bond – 1.5 oz – Easily Nixed, or, repackage in a smaller container. 1.5 oz is too much.

ID, Credit Card, Cash – 0.5 oz – Easily hidden in your vehicle, or near the vehicle. No need to carry in the backcountry.

Cell Phone – 4 oz – I understand the reasons for wanting a cell phone, but it can easily be left behind.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Self Inflating Sleeping Pad – 24.4 oz –
    Yeah, that's a bit heavy! It's worth exploring alternatives, especially 3/4 length ones.

> Tarp w/ Ground Sheet- 16 oz – You have a GIANT pad, so you can nix the ground sheet.
    Be a little careful here. If you are going to be camping in wet weather on muddy ground, the groundsheet just might be worth while. Wallowing in mud ain't real pretty. On dry duff – maybe OK.

> Travel Size Gold Bond – 1.5 oz
    Never carried anything like that myself.

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools