Topic

Hiking Clothes For FATTIES?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking Clothes For FATTIES?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Where can i find bigger hiking clothes? REI seems to be the only place that carries bigger than XXL. I have a big belly but the hardest thing for me to fit are my massive legs. I get them in XXL ok, but my thighs are so big that the pants bind under anything other than a standard stride. I have been using REI Sahras in 4XL. they are way too big in the waist but perfect in the thighs. I wear a 42 pant normally but find hiking gear to have a trimmer cut in the thigh region. Any ideas on other (lighter) options?

Don't tell me to lose weight, i have no desire to do so. Just looking for some new pants.

-Tim

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

Tim,

You like making your own gear right? Have you thought about making your own clothes?

I've just started learning how to sew…but sewing my own clothes is one thing I want to try.

John

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Locale: Northeast

LLBean sizes run larger than ems and probably rei.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Check out Patagonia….I have gotten alot of XXL stuff from them over the years and it is Bomb Proof, High End, Quality stuff!!!!!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Yeah,

I could make my own pants, but i have no time. I don't even have time for making my own gear. I work, then i sew for my side business, then i remodel my house, notice not even time for sleeping.

I have a pattern for zip off pants and plan to make some hiking pants from momentum 90 to see how that works. I think it won't breathe enough and i want some other ones for the time being. I have a bunch of suplex that i plan to make pants with, i just want some others until i get the chance.

-Tim

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Cabelas, LLBean….you almost have to buy online though.

It gets really hard though if you have to buy Tall as well!

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Have you checked places for hunters/fishermen like Cabela's? Or maybe look into the big and tall stores online. You may have to go the unconventional route to find some hiking pants. I don't know if swat team shops carry large sizes. Eddie Bauer carries very large sizes and in hiking style pants. Do a google on big and tall hiking pants and see what you'll find.

Columbia sells in big sizes.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

Yeah I understand time for projects is hard to find. I just started a project to modify my BCB today…now I have to get it done before my next trip the week after next.

If you do find the time…I'd love to see the results.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Mountain Hardwear and some Patagonia tends to be a looser fit. Neither will work if you are tall though.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Tim, Cuben Kilt, you know it makes sense.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Check local stores like Walmart and any men's dept. stores. Most carry large sizes.

L. T.

@guinness1759

Since you have found pants that fit in the thighs, is it possible to take them to a tailoring shop to have the waist fitted? I have done that with street clothing and have had good results. Also, I don't think Beyond Fleece has been mentioned yet. I think they only do fleece and soft shell clothing. Customized sizing but it costs.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Jeff, Kirk has found MH tall/big clothes before. Not easy to find but he had them in his closet. When he does find something he buys it if it fits, color be damned!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools