Topic

Esbit vs. alcohol with Caldera systems

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Esbit vs. alcohol with Caldera systems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Trail Designs also makes a short Caldera Cone. I wonder if that might help.

Stargazer

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I cut my cone down (1" off bottom for my Snow Peak 700) and used it with the Zelph's Starlyte. I don't know that the cone system is any more efficient than the stove by itself, but the cone weighs 1 1/4 oz, which is less than the crinkly windscreen I had. It's an easy to use system, no priming, no fuel spillage, no wobbling, no pot spillage, etc…

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

> Trail Designs also makes a short Caldera Cone. I wonder if that might help.

I should have said I was using the short cone with the ion… so a short cone won't help :-) I wasn't expecting the ion to be more efficient that the trail designs stove since they refined their design to operate within the caldera cone. It was a random experiment.

–Mark

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Mark
    I experimented some time ago with the Ion inside the cone. I put the Ion on top of ( can't remember what…) to get the right distance between it and the pot ( got that by measuring the distance between it and the supplied pot stand, about 1"). As with all the other stoves I tried it did not work as well as the one from Trail Design..
    Franco

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Mark and franco,

I have had some success with my small flame Volcano stove under the 550 Caldera cone, it was more efficient than the stove from TD but I had to pack the stove up a fair bit to shorten the flame hight, the other stoves that I tried with the CC where not as good as the one supplied.

Tony

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools