Topic

How do I avoid chafing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Darwin Roos

@darwin310

Locale: Great Lakes Area

How do I avoid chafing in my inner thigh/groin area? I wear loose boxers, but I still get chafing.
    Is there a different kind of underwear that I can wear or is there another way of avoid this kind of chafing?

Darwin
    [email protected]

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Keep the area clean (ie: wet wipes or wash in a creek) at least once/day. Also, Bodyglide/Sportslick helps a lot on clean skin.

Tight synthetic/merino helps too, but some don't need it.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I've had very good results (never chafing) while marathon running/hiking really long with Desitin diaper rash cream (which is mostly zinc oxide) or straight zinc oxide.
    Both are WAY cheaper than Body Glide.

I repackage them for backpacking into small 2×3" ziplock bags.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

Darwin,

The cure and prevention for trail chafing is Neosporin cream (triple antibiotic cream). Rub a little on the area in the morning before you take off.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I've said this many times before when people ask-

I used to have a bad chafing problem, wearing boxers and nylon pants. I was skeptical about trying it, but my problems resolved when I started wearing running shorts with a liner (GoLite Baja) and a dab of SportSlick.

I think it is the SportSlick that is the critical item. One dab bilaterally lasts all day, and I suspect that if pressed it might last two, assuming no worse than moderate sweating.

BPL sells handy smaller-than-typical-deodorant 0.5oz sticks:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/sportslick_solid.html

The way the shorts fit, the legs of the short cover both thighs, much as a lycra short or boxer-brief would. I even wear the shorts as underwear, under nylon pants. It still works.

Oh, and just be sure your pants fit. I wore slightly-too-small khakis on a walking tour of Rome, and nearly exsanguinated from the chafing…

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Since I normally wear briefs rather than boxers (TMI?), my approach to this issue was to get a sort of brief that has longer "legs" that cover the upper thigh.

I think what I'm using is the Under Armour Boxerjock,
    http://www.rei.com/product/739770

Quite infrequently I'll find that one (or both) of the legs is creeping up on me so that I get some chafing, but in general it's kept this problem from arising for me.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Hi,

I started to get chafing during some preparations for an upcoming hike, and spoke to my local gym instructor about it. Basically I was building up the muscle in my legs which lead to them rubbing. I tried creams and they did work however on a long hike, applying this daily was only going to result in some really unpleasant smells. Yuck!

Best thing I ever bought were a pair of Exfico boy leg jocks, fixed it right up. I think any tight fitting jocks might do the trick.

Cheers
    Mark

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

The basic cause of chafing on the trail is dirt. We never keep quite as clean as we should. The Sport Stick solution someone mentioned above has the same active ingredient as triple antibiotic ointment. These products kill the bacteria that causes the painful skin rash. It does not take a large amount of the product. A small tube of Neoporin will last for over a week on the trail. One tiny bead of ointment spread on each thigh will solve or prevent the problem.

It's amazing that something this simple can make or break a hiking day. I'd rather hike with a pebble in my boot.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Laurence, I think the cause of chafing is friction aggravated by sweat. Did you mean Sportslick? The active ingredients in triple antibiotic ointment are three antibiotics, but Sportslick has none of those. Instead Sportslick contains triclosan, an antibacterial, and tolnaftate, an antifungal. Not the same thing. Sportslick will help probably mostly because it contains silicone and petrolatum to reduce friction for some period of time before it wears off.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

I just think the primary cause is sweaty,dirty, bacteria. I am sure that friction is in there as a cause as well though.

I know that triple antibiotic ointment works very well. I have not tried Sportslick but I am sure it will work as well.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

All the ointments and powders mentioned by others will help. However, I replaced every powder, ointment, and soap I carry with baking soda, the universal panecea. It also works well for chafing.

In addition, consider wearing boxer briefs (the best of both worlds), which pretty much prevent (ahem) everything from rubbing against anything. The Ex Officio brand works well for me.

I used to chafe like a sonofagun when I weighed 245, but the problem has pretty much disappeared since I lost 100 pounds. It's nice to see some space between my thighs. ;v) In other words, the best solution to chafing is to keep walking, never give up, and then walk some more.

Keeping the faith,

Stargazer

Acronym Esq
    BPL Member

@acronym-esq

Locale: TX

+1 Boxer Briefs.

My chafing was due to my legs rubbing the center seam in the loose fitting boxers going from the left leg to the right leg. That seam was free hanging about 1" from my fun bits and rubbing between my legs. Moving the seam tight up against myself (by using boxer briefs), fixed the rubbing.

It is worth noting that my wife switched to boxer briefs when hiking for the same reason and same success.

YMMV.

acronym 9/28/2009 4:37 PM

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

That is a testimonial for sure! I guess the baking powder removes the moisture where the bacteria breeds. I am sure that would work also.

Congratulations on the weight loss! That's almost a 41% reduction in body mass! Other people pay money to lose weight like that… you just went on a long backpack.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Thank ye, matey for your kind words concerning the weight loss. Keep on truckin', as we used to say in the late '60's.

"It is worth noting that my wife switched to boxer briefs when hiking for the same reason and same success."

Oh, mama. There's nothng more tre chic than a woman in boxer briefs!

Stargazer

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I just think the primary cause is sweaty,dirty, bacteria. I am sure that friction is in
    > there as a cause as well though.

In which case, a good wash might be just as effective.
    Work well for me.
    (Granted, I weigh only 138 lb.)

Cheers

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Acronym wrote: >

+1 Boxer Briefs.

My chafing was due to my legs rubbing the center seam in the loose fitting boxers going from the left leg to the right leg. That seam was free hanging about 1" from my fun bits and rubbing between my legs. Moving the seam tight up against myself (by using boxer briefs), fixed the rubbing.

It is worth noting that my wife switched to boxer briefs when hiking for the same reason and same success.

YMMV.

I'll add another +1 for boxer briefs. They're basically like cycling shorts. Cycling shorts were developed to prevent chafing.

"Normal" (loose) boxers breathe better, but if that middle seam gets in the wrong position, which it inevitably does, it's chafe city. I struggled with this for a while. I love boxers and there's NO WAY I'm going to wear briefs on a multi-day hike, so boxer briefs were a real discovery for me. (yes, sometimes I'm a little slow) Now, no baby powder, vaseline, or 100 other home remedies. Just boxer briefs.

I wear mesh boxer briefs from REI. They breathe well, and I get no chafing.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

In a word: underarmour

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Anything labeled for diaper rash is a good bet. Really, what's the difference? Also means it is gentle enough for baby. Look for some zinc content — protective and anti-inflammatory. Many of these work quite well on areas of the feet (also use on shins in ski boots in spring) — there are a couple nice ones at Whole Foods — California Baby and Little Twig — fragrance free. Of course, A&D is the cyclist's classic — smelly and greasy.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Darwin,

One way to avoid chaffing is to quit double posting.

Thanks.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Well Greg if you'd just stop posting then we'd all be spared your abrasive personality and thus no more chafing.

To keep from chafing on logner trips I'll use Body Glide.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Back on topic…

To be completely effective, boxer-briefs need to be long enough to go below the crotch seam in your hiking pants. Sometimes hiking pants ride down a bit too.

I've seen legs range from about 2" to 4". Go for the longer ones.

I have some Sportslick in my kit for family trips. It helped my daughter last summer.

And be nice when dealing with other people. It helps prevent chafing…

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I second wearing boxer briefs with a longer leg. Personally I find the Exoffico(sp?) boxer briefs to be just the right size for me.

Jonathan DeYoung

@jdeyoung81

Locale: New England

talk about something that can really kill a good hike!

I use spandex running shorts under my pants or shorts and this has helped alot… however chaffage still happens sometimes so I break out the vaseline.

I always bring a small amount of vaseline with me and put a thin coat on the area of chaffing when it occurs. This is a cheap and easy fix and has been lighter to carry then the sportglide stick… just a little messier for the hands.

V k
    Spectator

@vladimir_ek

Locale: New York

BodyGlide Anti-Chafing Stick is a part of my first aid kit. I highly recommend it.

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

Spandex running shorts, like many have said, plus bodyglide if I start feeling any chafing developing.

As a road cyclist, I know of a bunch of chamois butters on the market to deal with the problem developing on long rides. That's another option, but I think that most would be overkill for this application.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools