Topic

Rae Lakes October

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Rae Lakes October

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kate Hoch
    BPL Member

@dropnroll

Locale: PNW

I'm planning on doing the Rae Lakes loop in mid-October. I've never been to the Sierras before, and it sounds like this loop is a good place to start. Other suggestions are welcome too, since I'll be in the area ~10 days and haven't decided on anything else yet.

I'd like some input on my gear list – mainly, will I be warm enough?
    I know some of my stuff is heavy (like the tent and pack), but I bought it before I knew there were options other than what's at REI. I'm open to suggestions all around, but probably not willing to spend big $$ right now.

thanks!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArqGjf4tIK6-dDZrQ2ZZYkN5RWkzLWxEeTJIdFFVU0E&hl=en

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

That's a really small bear can for ten days. Either you really don't eat much, are eating power bars, or you're overestimating what you can get in the canister. You also have to pack hygiene items and trash in it (but not first day of food). Consider renting a Bearikade, either the weekender or expedition size will weigh about the same as the Bearvault solo and give you a lot more room. You can get it by mail from the manufacturer and return it the same way.

I'd add a small foam pad to go under the NeoAir, as it can get pretty cold in shoulder seasons. I don't know what your comfort level in cold is, but I wouldn't be hiking in shorts, and I would be taking midweight bottoms and expedition weight top base layer, and I'd be sure the rain layer is big enough to fit over the down jacket without compressing it much. It can either be nice, in the 60s or 70s, or it can be chilly and windy and brisk – the weather changed a lot last weekend over the course of two days, for ten days I'd have zipoffs and an extra long sleeve layer, but that's me – I also have hiking buddies who ski in shorts, so definitely YMMV.

That three liter hoser is overkill, I've never had to take more than two liters and in some areas you can get away with one between water sources. It's late in the season, but you're going to be hiking from lake to lake.

I'd also be taking chains or cables for the car. Just in case.

Rae Lakes is a gorgeous area. Have fun on your trip!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Ok….waht does YMMV stand for?

I can't figure it out.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Ok….waht does YMMV stand for?"

Your mileage may vary…

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Ahh……thanks!

Kate Hoch
    BPL Member

@dropnroll

Locale: PNW

Thanks Lori –
    I was only planning on hiking 3-4 days at a time, so I think the bearvault solo will be ok.

I'll look for a foam pad to go under the NeoAir. I remember seeing a thread about that fairly recently…can't find it now. And you're also probably right about the shorts – I'll go with another long layer for my legs.

I guessed the 3 liter hoser was overkill, but it was a gift, and I figure I don't have to fill it all the way :-)

Thanks for the warning about the chains for the car, I hadn't thought of that. And I really should know better by now – got stuck on the road to the coyote buttes/wave – trailhead last winter!

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

If it were me I'd bring a nice thick woolie hat. It'll go a long way towards keeping you warm. Keep the fleece neck gaiter as well.

If its cold during the day when you're hiking you'll be fine with the hiking tshirt, very light fleece and your rainjacket. Sitting around camp in the evening you might wish you had something warmer than the Montbell UL for insulation. Although I guess you could just wrap yourself in your bag at that point.

I always wear a sunhat while hiking in the mountains, dorky I know. And sunglasses. And sunscreen. Yes, even in October.

Didn't see map and compass on the list.

Snow is a distinct possibility in October. Check the weather forecast before you go. The trails are not wintermarked, which means you have to be confident with your map and compass and able to hike for a couple of days in a trailless landscape.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

"I was only planning on hiking 3-4 days at a time, so I think the bearvault solo will be ok."

I though it sounded like a leisurely ten days. Misread the post.

If you're going to hang out in the area, a day hike or overnight to Pear Lake or Alta Peak/Alta Meadow are great scenic options. October is outside the quota period so you're self registering for any overnight trip you do, no problem.

"I'll look for a foam pad to go under the NeoAir. I remember seeing a thread about that fairly recently…can't find it now."

The Gossamer Gear pads are fairly inexpensive and very light. Or, any blue ccf from your local Walmart or Target will probably do fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools