Topic

Nine day loop from Kings Canyon to Minearl King and back

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Nine day loop from Kings Canyon to Minearl King and back

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dave T

@davet

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Cool stuff Dave T!!!
    The circumnavigation of the Kaweah Peaks (94.8-mile loop) is on my "To Do" list for next summer.. Nice pictures
    Thanks for posting..

-Jay

Anonymous
    Inactive

Superb route concept, Dave! You passed through just about the finest the southern Sierra has to offer. It doesn't get much better, IME. Thanks for sharing.

" Climb Triple Divide Pass, and traverse to ridge, climbing atop it. Not able to initially find the way off the end that Bill Finch discusses, and find ourselves dropping to be stymied on narrow granite cliffs. Turn around and to back up, only to find relatively easy way down."

Are you referring here to the ridge that Secor advises crossing at 12,000', just south of the Colby Pass Trail and overlooking it? If so, I can second your confusion. I had trouble finding the route down, too. It is much easier to figure out going up, enroute to Triple Divide Pass.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Man! That's some nice hiking. Did 5 days in that area in July, but man, a few extra days and I could've done your route.

It's all good.

HJ

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Heaven on earth.

Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

Epic hike. Thanks for posting! I especially liked your view of Black Rock Pass. Wow, that is formidable-looking from the south!

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

Looks fantastic! Really makes me want to spend some months in the states hiking (even though it is pretty nice here in Norway too)

John Goodin

@jdgkeg

Locale: Western Slope of the Sierra

Awesome trip report. I'm considering doing the Mr. Brewer Loop this summer and was wondering how "technical" the rock section is on Longley Pass to bypass the cornice? Any additional beta on that specific section that you can share? I'm not a technical climber and I will likely be down climbing that section. Much appreciated.

Dave T

@davet

(Sorry to be tardy in the reply – I didn't see your post until today.)

Longley Pass looked harder from a distance than it was up close. From the east, it was a loose, steep sand slog up to the pass, where a long hard cornice was still in place in September. We could've gotten through/over it, but choose to do an easy rock/sand scramble around it – no more than Class 2 or so at the worst. I'm not a rock climber either, so no worries – it was easy. Secor calls it a Class 1 pass I think, so there's nothing to it.

Dave T

@davet

Longley Pass as viewed lakes below to east.
    longley from below

Atop Longley Pass with old cornice remains
    Around hard cornice

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools