Topic

Cheese Powder

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I have seen a couple FBC type recipes that call for cheese powder. I suspect the type of cheese powder being called for is the type that comes included with the macaroni and cheese dinners. I don’t want to buy the ‘mac&cheese’ dinners just for the cheese powder. Checking the local Safeway’s, King Soopers, Albertsons, Vitamin Cottage, Wild Oats and Whole Foods stores I am unable to find cheese powder like that. I have found a cheese sprinkle that works great when putting it on popcorn, but when trying to make a ‘cheesy couscous’ it leaves a whole lot of something to be desired.

I have found individual packets of parmesan cheese on the minimus.biz web site, but nowhere can I find the cheese powder. I am starting to think I may have to dehydrate my own. Sarah, besides crazy… do you know where I should go? ;O)

Curtis Presson

@obdewla_x

Try

http://www.barryfarm.com/

– cheese powder is in the Dairy & Eggs section… $4.39/lb. These guys have just about anything you could want at competitive prices. Good customer service and quick shipping.

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

Walton Feed sells a 16 oz can of powdered cheese blend similar to the Kraft mix for $7.25 and a 13 oz can of powdered cheddar cheese for $9.95.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

What you want is like this:

http://tinyurl.com/lw7rh

The stuff is also made by Tone’s and can be found in some Sams Clubs and Costco’s. I believ beprepared.com also sells it in large cans.

There is both Cheese Powder (which needs milk and butter added to work decently) and the stuff up above. The stuff up above just needs water to work :-)Cheese sauce powder feels like sour cream powder (another hard to find fun item), it feels less like a powder, and that is why it mixes up so easily..it has almost a damp feel (due to that it has fat in it.)

Now, I am lucky and can get it bulk at WinCo stores here in Wa state. For some East Coasties, I have shipped them half a lb of it or so for cost and S&H..so I can help you out if you can’t get it! (I pay around $5 a lb.)

Anyhoo…the stuff in Mac and cheese boxes will work..just not as well or as good tasting. If you use it to make a cheesy couscous, be sure to add in dry milk and maybe some Butter Buds to bump up the flavor.
    Sarah

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

Wow! A lot of good feedback and information. Thank you very much! :O)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools