Topic

Photo Essay: A Traverse of the Bob Marshall Wilderness by Foot and Packraft

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Photo Essay: A Traverse of the Bob Marshall Wilderness by Foot and Packraft

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Beautiful photo essay, Ryan!

But this is what got me going:

"My name is Ryan, and I'm a Tenkara addict. So much so, in fact, that Backpacking Light and Tenkara are partnering to develop a brand new version of the Tenkara rod designed specifically for backpackers."

Can you tell us anything about the new rod? It's hard to imagine a better rod for backpacking then the Tenkara Daniel already has!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

very nice trip indeed

the "Bob" (Great Bear too) were my old (old as in 20 years ago) stomping grounds – looks like nothing has changed much (that's a very gratifying feeling knowing that in another 20 years it will still be about the same)

a Middle Fork bull trout would really give your Tenkara a work out :)

Mike

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

You took some great pictures here, very professional, with great color and depth of field, still shots (tripod?). I found myself wondering how could this be achieved lightweight. What was your photo kit, both pre- and post-production?

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

Simply stunning Ryan. Great adventure and brilliant photos.

The addition of a packraft and fishing gear really add depth to the wilderness experience which too often has us leaving this sort of equipment behind as we strive to shed grams. A great new perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Really nice job. Epic photos.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

"So much so, in fact, that Backpacking Light and Tenkara are partnering to develop a brand new version of the Tenkara rod designed specifically for backpackers."

Oh, visions of sugarplums, trout, and frankenstein!! I can't wait!

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

Sweet pictures and tantilizing glimpses of route choice consequences in the upcoming "Le Parcour de Wild". Thanks for the subtle beta Ryan. I'm totally excited about traversing the Bob Marshall in two weeks.

http://www.parcourdewild.org/pdwblog/?p=9

Heidi Ahrens

@heidiahrens

Thank you for the inspiration. I wish to do that kind of trip one day with my daughters and keep a record of possible trips. What do you think doable with two young children?

http://outdoorbaby.net

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

@andreww – These photos were taken with the Sigma DP2, and I did have a small tripod with me – a cheapie Sunpak XL1000 (I think I bought it at Target a few years ago), weighs only about 6 oz after modifying it, and it has a height of 18 inches or so, which is nice for getting above the grasses. My post production workflow is based primarily on Lightroom. I have some automation built into my imports, and they are customized for each camera/lens combination. I may spend a little time afterwards on some images in Photoshop as well, to add something like a graduated ND gradient or remove the errant moth from my skies :)

The other cameras that I spend the most time shooting with are the Olympus E-P1 and the Panasonic TS1.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Regarding the new Tenkara Rod, it's a new model (their lightest yet!) that will be offered exclusively through Backpacking Light … it has some neat features (notable: less than 3 oz, and very compact)… I'll post some photos and info about it next week, I'm mired in end of week administration work now! :)

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

Your pictures are superb. Love the Bob. Rock On! Waiting for details on the pole. I use a modified ice-fishing rig or hand lines.

I am so looking forward to the trek of my dreams starting at Gibson reservoir at the southern end of the Bob and then walking the CDT (for the most part) to the beginning of the milk river (St Mary's Drainage) on the east side of Glacier Park. From there we packraft through two nations in two days. Stop in Milk River, Alberta on the way through (I live on the Milk River in MT.) Finish in Fresno Reservoir for a good old fashioned fish fry.

Would a bunch of hippies make it through the border?

The Monkey Wrench Gang :)

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Ryan, I've got a gear-related question for you if you have a minute.

I'm thinking of becoming a bivy user. In particular, I plan on using a bivy on bald peaks above treeline. Now that you've been using a bivy for some time, can you comment on the durability of the all eVENT bivy bag? (I think that's the one you're using…)

Does the bottom abrade easily? Do you use a ground sheet to protect it?

I'm trying to decide wheter to get one that is all eVENT or one with an eVENT top and more durable cordura bottom.

Thanks. And great photos, by the way. Looks like an amazing area.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Ryan has a customized version of the microbivy. That's the one with the more durable bottom. Ryan's has a spinnaker bottom though.

Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Locale: Southwest

sweet trip, and thanks for sharing your passion for the Bob. I'll add it to my list of destinations.
    Dana

Jon Loevner
    Spectator

@jloevner

Anyone packrafted down the Spotted Bear?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools