Topic

Cuben Tarp Styles Revealed!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cuben Tarp Styles Revealed!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Ron from MLD here.

I wanted to share some cuben info.

Note that this is the first time we have pubilically stated the exact style of Cuben we use.

The CT1K.08 is the stuff we call .45 and is the type for the one MLD Speed Tarp. Can be torn by hand by most people without a starter edge cut. We've ruined tarps by pulling them over a catchy corner edge of work tables. We do not guarantee the fabic on this one tarp. A very few other companies have offered this lighter weight style in the past and they did not guarantee that style cuben either – almost all companies most stopped making commercial tarps from that weight. It is quite thin and sewing is a challenge – plan on taping and using a bit larger than normal reinforcements and hems. DYi'ers without heavier Cuben styles on hand to build the reinforcements from should consider using taped reinforcements of slightly different sizes on both sides. Sometimes we spot areas – since we cut all our own in house- based on years of experience – that are not layed up evenly and need to be discarded. The thiner the style, the harder to manufacture evenly.

All the rest of the MLD Cuben tarps and shelters are from the much much stronger CT2K.08 that we call the .6 Really bomber stuff. Can not be torn by hand. -And I'm pretty strong. Small rips are very hard to enlarge by hand. So any puncture will stay very small.
    Every once and while we have to discard some rough sections- but overall pretty uniform layups.

We know the actual weights per style are now a bit higher than years ago when we first started using Cuben and those weights can vary a bit from run to run like any fabric anyway. We keep calling it .45 and .6 to try to keep some comparrision and reference continuity.

The final weights in the individual style/size tarps over the years have changed less than an ounce anyway. We hope the .45 and .6 reference help folks judge strength between our products year to year vs. posting lots of small changes and getting lots of different numbers all swirling around.

We do not know exactly what style the .33 or .45 references seen around the web refer too but it's got to be very very thin.

On BPL forums, Cuben gets a pretty solid reputation and through discussion, but in a lot of other places it has a shaky reputation. We feel that is mainly due to misperceptions created when the word Cuben is used to reference any sand all styles and weights. Since a lot of that is based on the very lightest styles and experimental construction methods, it's not a surprise.

Summary:
    • CT2K.08 is very strong. (98% of our tarps/shelters)
    Frrancis Tapon used this for his CDT Yo Yo and that's a lot of nights.
    • CT1K.08 smaller tarps can be used carefully in moderate winds if constructed very well (used only in the one MLD Speed Tarp) -Costs a couple bucks less p/yd than C2K.08 but you may end up needing more seam sealer weight for strength Vs with the CN2K.08 too.
    • Even lighter styles are super interesting…but very very very thin. DYI'ers have fun and be creative! A whole lot of good ideas do come from you.
    •There is a reason if a cuben product's fabric (not just the workmanship) is not covered by a full warranty. Our .6 / CT2K.08 is fully covered. Our .45 style is not.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Thanks Ron. The same applies to Tyvek, often spoken as one product when in fact there are at least 15 different types…
    Franco

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Thanks Ron! I love this type of information. It is very much appreciated.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

Ron,

The Revelation Pack is even heavier Cuben at 1.5 oz correct.

Do you run this material through a clothes drier to soften it, so its easier to work with. I swear my Cuben Patrol smelled like fabric softener or drier sheets, when I first got it?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

A bit off topic, but do your MLD cuben stuff sacks ship out quickly? Or does the 4-7 week wait also apply to these?

Thanks.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Thanks for the info Ron.

Do you recommend the CT1K.08 for stuff sacs?

-Sid

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

We use the .6 . CT2K.08 for stuff sacks- since the amount of fabic is small- lighter styles would not save more than about .000000000001 oz and would not be nearly as strong.

Cuben stuff sacks ship in about a week or maybe two.

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

Thanks for letting us know because I was planning on biting the bullet on a 9m order of the CT1k.08, and I am glad I haven't done it yet.

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

Good info… now I just need the $$$ for cuben!:P

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

I posted some prelim pics of the new Stealth cuben tarp colors on the MLD facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=131793047725&ref=nf

No facebook account needed.

Guessing some the DYI'ers that are getting some of this color soon can preview it.

More of a tint than a solid color but a lot more stealthy than the white.

Tarps in this color will cost about 10% more since the raw fabric is more expensive. We'll offer the color option.

We'll get more pics and info on them up on the MLD website soon.

Yeah, I know you want the pics here- but surf on over and also watch for upcoming contests for FREE gear- already gave away a "first in the world" unique piece of gear.

Spinntex EXP Solo Mid proto give away contest will go up next week.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Bummer. I guess the Canaan didn't win! ;-) You might want to keep that name in your pocket for any dog-related stuff you might make though! Canaan – K9. It's a natural!

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Hey Ron,
    when will the SoloMid be available on your website?
    Also, is the 10 oz weight for SilNylon? If so, how much would it weigh with Cuben?

-Sid

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

We will get the Spintex EXP version up in a few weeks. That is the only version planned now and it is 10oz w/ linelocks. I would guess most users would cut off at least four so it would get closer to 9.5oz.

As the total amount of fabric surface area gets smaller in a shelter- the wt of the fabric plays less of an overall percentage of the final weight- The hardware/ reinforcements/ guyline, etc weights stay fairly constant.

So a Sil version would be only about 1- 2 oz more and a cuben about 1 – 1.5 less.

Annthing is possible as custom with some custom charges.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Hey thanks Ron. The MYOG cuben co-op production run happened last week and the material is now with our stateside distributor :-)

As you said, more a tint, but less 'glow-in-the-dark' than the white.

The new tarps look great.

I have plans for a 2 piece zip together tipi which makes 2 sizes of poncho for me and my little lady to wear as downpour wear/packcover. Her side will benefit from a mesh lining which drops down to make a bug nest. The zips are fairly heavy (think golite hex3) but should be durable and strong enough for the job.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Went to the Facebook page and couldn't, for the life of me, find the new cuben tarp in a "green tint" color. Looks like you just posted the same old grace solo pic with white cuben.

Then I looked closer! That color is barely noticeable.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

According the MLD site, MLD is using 0.7oz cuben for their tarps etc. Is this the same stuff (CT2K.08) mentioned earlier at 0.6oz? Or is MLD using slightly heavier cuben now?

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

CT2K.08 weighs .75oz per square yard. I don't know if that helps but in my opinion that weight material has the best strength to weight..

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Yeah that helps. Thanks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools