Topic

New Quilt and a couple of questions . . .

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear New Quilt and a couple of questions . . .

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Walls

@tbird911

Hi All,

I have asked Tim Marshall to make me one of his fine quilts. I have chosen the momentum fabric as the main material and I'm trying to finalize my choice for insulation. I want to be able to go down to at least the mid 20's and also be able to use the bag in the warmer weather. I live in east tennessee so we do get some warm days wiht higher humidity. I also plan on taking the quilt on some kayaking trips. I like the idea of synthetic for my needs and I need to pick either climashield combat or climashield xp. I've tried the search function, but I'm hoping someone else can put it all in plain english for me. I understand combat is warmer typically, but looking for some more imput from guys in the know. I know Tim won't steer me wrong, but I do want to make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Dave,

Call Paul at thru-hiker.com.

Thru-hiker may sell more Combat and XP than any one else.

For the mid-20's my guess is he will tell you to go with his 5 ounce per square yard XP.

Warmth comes with a higher weight per square yard when talking about Combat or XP.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

David is trying to decide between 1layer of 5oz XP or 2 layers of 3.7oz COMBAT (7.4oz). He could also get 1 layer of 2.5oz XP and 1 of 5oz, but the cost is more than the 2 layers of 3.7 for a similar weight and temp rating.

-Tim

David Walls

@tbird911

After many back and forths, with guys that know way more about the topic than myself, I'm going with Climashield XP in the 5oz range with Momentum fabric. This is of course being made by Tim– but I'll make sure and post pics etc as soon as Im able.

Thanks again Tim and Paul.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools