Topic

A couple of questions about small volume packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A couple of questions about small volume packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Has anyone tried the new ULA Relay yet? It looks like a great, durable design at around a pound (17 oz). In the same vein, anyone with experience with the Golite Vision pack? I checked it out at a local outfitter, and it looks very nice, if a little overweight for what it offers. I know that Dr. J used it on a SUL outing a couple of years back, and I wondered if anyone had any feedback on it, or the Relay.

Thanks,
    Ben

J R

@ravenul

Are you just interested in these 2 bags or are other 2000ci-ish bags of interest?

If so, Ive been real impressed with the GraniteGear Wisp.

http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/technical_day/wisp/index.html

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Joe,

Thanks for the response – not sure how I missed it. I have looked at the GG, but so far only briefly. Seeing the pic on their website, it looks pretty nice. What’s your thought on using it for extended trips with an UL, low-volume load? Can it handle a 20-pound load? How’s the compression system? Thanks in advance if you get a chance to answer. In answer to your question, I’m interested in seeing other 2000-ci “winners.”

Ben

J R

@ravenul

Ben

I’ll caveat here and say that I dont have extensive experience with this pack. Ive looked it over, packed it up, and borrowed a friends for some trial-and-error, but nothing seriously substantial.

That being said…

If you feel comfortable fitting a load for an “extended trip” into 2000ci, then this would be a good pack for it.

Its compression is excellent. It will sqish up into nothing. It has the same compression as other UL GG packs, but it also has the top flap compression straps and the beavertail.

GG claims its comfortable up to 25lbs… Id say thats accurate over short distance hikes, but less is better. 20 is where Id limit the weight if I knew I’d be walking for any appreciable distance… and Id try to keep it closer to 15 than 20. I dont have one in front of me, so I cant tell you if using a sleep pad could be used to add rigidity to it, but I think it might be too short for a standard pad.

I like the design enough Ive written to GG asking them to make one just slightly larger… a Wisp/Virga hybrid basically.

J R

@ravenul

bizarre double post

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Joe, caveats or no, that was very helpful. The compression on all the GG packs is pretty impressive (my uncle and dad use them), and the Wisp is rising on my list the more I look at it. Based on your observations or experience, is the hipbelt fairly comfortable, doing its share to hold the load?

Thanks,
    Ben

J R

@ravenul

the hipbelt was one of the items I recommended be brought into that hybrid pack.

It works as well or better than your average nylon strap hip belt (ala virga), but with padding to help cushion the small amount of pressure on the hipbones, and with handy pockets for some hammergel, chapstick, or a compass.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

it just keeps getting more interesting… anyone else have input on this or other packs?

Thanks,
    Ben

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools