Topic

Good summer JMT sleeping bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Good summer JMT sleeping bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Scott and Mark! I Just nabbed a brand new blue Granite Gear Vapor Trail for $76… I guess I can't complain about that price! Happy to have it back ;)

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I'm +1 on the WM Summerlite. I did a hike about a month ago in the Sierra at elevations from 6000' to 11,500'. The full zip Summerlite was great because at low camps (i.e. hot), I could unzip it and lay it over me and still be comfortable. In the higher camps, I was generally comfortable just sleeping in long johns with the bag zipped, but I did wear a Patagonia down sweater one night just 'cause I thought it'd be quite cold. I'm 6'0", 200# and the down sweater works fine for me in the Summerlite.

I figure between my ~1# Summerlite and my clothing I can handle the summer temperature ranges found in the Sierra.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you all again for all of the advice!

I pulled the trigger on the Mont-bell 800 Fill UL Down Hugger #2 Rated at 25 Degrees. Weighs in at an honest 1lb. 12oz. (according to all of my research). I even got it at 20% off.

I know there are lighter bags, and I was looking at the WM Summerlite and the Marmot Hydrogen… But, I AM a cold sleeper and figured I could manage the extra weight for a good nights rest. Besides, I hear those Marmot bags are usually 2 or so ounces heavier than their claimed weight. That Summerlite looks awesome, but It's bucks-y… and like I said, I am a cold sleeper….

Anyhow, this justifies purchasing a second lower elevation 'true' summer bag or quilt next summer for the warm nights i see on my other trips. At least that is what my evil little shopper tells me ;)

Again, thank you for all of the insight! Truly appreciated!

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

I recently completed the southern half of the JMT. On several days at elevation there was frost on the ground. I took a chance with a run of the mill 30 deg bag but I took Montbell Down Inners as insurance.

I used these on several nights and they did the trick.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I hiked the JMT last of August/first of September. Carried my WM Apache. One first night was below freezing, otherwise warmer. I didn't fully zip the sleeping bag once.

Not so much a recommendation (though it is a great bag) as a note that you probably get by with a 20-30F bag.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools