Topic

What is your “luxury” item?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is your “luxury” item?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Just ordered my luxury item… no pun intended… but it’s a LuxuryLite Cot-EL. Packed weight is 12 oz. I’ll report back once I get it :)

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Here is the info on making carbon fiber tubing for a camp stool project.

As background I started with the “ultralight” Roll-A Stool® at 14oz. which uses 3/4” aluminum tube for the legs. I cut off some of the tubing and took off the strap etc. and got a very short stool at 10 oz. This stool was stable but actually not much better than sitting on the ground as it was very short. Then I bought 1/2” graphite kite spars and assembled a copy of the Roll-A-Stool® with this thinner stock. The whole thing was never stable (i.e. too much flex) and eventually failed at the joints, but it did only weigh 5.5oz! So I figured I’d have to increase the diameter of the tubing for stability The 3/4” graphite kite spars would have cost about $70+ dollars for one stool so I got the cheaper (but heavier) fiberglass kite spars. That stool weighed about 10 oz, but was a useable 19” high. It was then I started exploring the idea of making my own graphite tubing in a 3/4” diameter.

The following two web addresses are what guided me and have excellent instructions on how to make tubing and what carbon fiber is all about.

http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Abrasion.htm#carbanch

http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Wshophtm/carb_tubing.htm

The following was also useful

http://www.solarcomposites.com/MakingShafts.html

and in addition I have purchased all of my carbon sleeve, fabric and epoxy from this last site. Unfortunately, there is a shortage of carbon fabric in the world right now so you may have to surf around.

Basically, to make my 3/4” graphite tube about 22” long, I started with 1/2” copper pipe in two foot lengths, sanded smooth, then axel grease applied to the pipe, then spiral wrapped the pipe with vinyl tape (non sticky tape like surveyors use). Then I cut a 2 foot long piece of unidirectional carbon fabric just wide enough to wrap around my vinyl taped pipe one time. This is oriented with the fibers running the length of the pipe. (leave a little of the pipe exposed at one end) That fabric was held in place by a few spiral wraps of regular sewing thread. Just enough thread to keep the fabric from falling off. Epoxy was applied to the fabric to thoroughly soak it and then I slid a piece of carbon sleeve over the fabric, snugged it down and basted that layer with epoxy. The whole thing was then hung vertically to dry. After it dried I lightly sanded the outside of the tube (still on the copper pipe form) and appled a thin coat of epoxy to the whole tube. After that dried I clamped the exposed end of the copper pipe and pulled the graphite tube off. The vinyl tape will be stuck to the graphite inside your tube. Carefully coax the tape out by gently pulling and twisting it. Viola! A graphite tube, just cut to length. If you want it stiffer and stronger use more layers of unidirectional fabric. I tried it with just sleeve alone, but that was not strong enough for a stool.

Sorry couldn’t find any good pictures.

P.S.-I forgot to mention that working with epoxy is somewhat tricky so follow the manufactuer’s instructions and always wear protective gear, never get it on you skin and use in a well ventilated area.

-Mark

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

16 penny titanium nails being as they are titanium actually cost 16 dollars

Verndal Lee

@jagc

Locale: Pacific NW

David –

I’m looking forward to your report on the LL Cot-EL. I’m a big fan of Bruce – I have his LL pack and just ordered his new Trailstik 3. I’ve been waiting for someone to test the Cot-El and tell me how they like it.

What do you plan to do about your feet hanging over the sides – especially with the cot being 4″ off the ground?

Thanks.

Vern

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Vern… I don’t plan on doing anything. I think I will be perfectly comfortable with my feet off the end. But we’ll see.

Jeff Black

@thehikingdude

I suppose mine would be a Nikon D70 DSLR with various lenses. I had bought a Nikon P&S with the idea that I would leave the D70 at home on backpacking trips, but the difference in quality is just too much. So I decided to drop weight elsewhere and keep bringing the big camera.

-jeff

Taylor Samuels

@taylorsamuels

My tooth brush handle.

Eric Eaton

@ericeaton

Ok, you are all allowed to laugh, but on solo trips in the thick of itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny tick country (think lymes here), you will not find me without my trusty ARC LS flashlight.

http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/lshp2.htm

Those pesky little disease laden blood suckers are hard enough to find in bright sunlight, much less in the dark. After carefully locating and pulling a bunch out of me one tarp/netting night by the light of a photon, I still found more in me the next morning (four). Since then, I have carried my LS in its single CR-123A configuration, and have not even missed one tick (err…at least that I know of…). This is one bright and long-lasting light, and I don’t mind the extra once over my photon freedom.
    On a negative note, ARC is out of business. Oh well, maybe by the time my LS dies someone will have invented a suitable replacement.
    Eric

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Eric, http://www.brightguy.com has a single cell Luxeon flashlight – chrome finish no less. I’d post a link, but it appears that at this time I’m timing out trying to ge to their web site. I’ll try to remember to edit and update this post later on with a link to the actual item.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools