Topic

Mantracker

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

Does anyone watch the show "Mantracker"? I LOVE that show personally, but I've noticed an on going trend with the contestants…

How come a majority of them seem to have packed everything but the kitchen sink in their oversized 7000+cc bags for a 2 day trip??? Not to mention the fact that they are running away from someone who is trying to catch them. If it was me, I'd pack a rain poncho, tarp, sleping bag, maybe a heavy fleece depending on where I am and how cold it is, and some no cook food in the smallest backpack I could find. To me, this is the PERFECT situation in which ultralight (or even super ultralight) practices would be very beneficial.

Comments?

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

If I was trying to escape someone for two days I don't think I'd pack anything.

I wonder how many people on that show get caught due to the camera crew tagging along.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I saw an episode where the guys brought a case of beer.

Andy Shepard
    Spectator

@callook66

Locale: Boise, ID

Best. Show. Ever.

The first episode I saw, my friend and I were trying to guess what horrible things the mantracker was going to use to capture the runaways. Towards the end, it started getting REALLY suspenseful, and he was REALLY close at times. We're thinking he's going to throw a net on them or shoot them with some sort of nonlethal weaponry… but no. he got within some arbitrary distance of them and said "Hey there." Game over. That's it.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Could this be the ultimate adventure race? Think of the story, "The Most Dangerous Game."

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"I wonder how many people on that show get caught due to the camera crew tagging along."

I've wondered this too. It seems like they must have a dozen camera guys chasing the prey around. Maybe that's the idea….use so many camera men and give them all the same boots that the woods are just loaded with prints, making them useless.

I wish they told you a bit more about the rules….like how much do you have to sleep at night? If there are no rules on this, I'd sleep 2 hours and then take off and gain an insurmountable head start. You could just jog off the last 20kms down a dirt road if you have 6 hours to do it while he sleeps.

Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

Dan, I've wondered the exact same thing (as I'm sure most people who watch the show have). I'd be interested to learn what the rules are because if they don't have any regulation on how long you have to sleep, I'd just pull an all nighter. It's just one night! It's actually quite amazing how long you can push yourself without sleep.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I bet the camera crews are a bunch of wusses that make you stop :)

Paul Vertrees
    BPL Member

@sawtooth

Locale: Southern Colorado Rockies

I'm usually a "glass half-full" guy, but I've got to say…shows like Mantracker are the reason I don't watch much TV. Even for entertainment value, it's lacking. For reality, well, I think the whole thing is contrived. Not as bad as Man vs. Wild, but close.

Even my 8 and 10 year old daughters think it's stupid.

David Ure

@familyguy

I love the show. Contrived? Yes. Would I like to do it? Absolutely.

I actually watch the show with my kids (under the age of nine) and we have a great time….but of course we don't take it seriously.

(they always want to know if that happens to me when I go out hiking…)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools