Topic

what to look for in a shoe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) what to look for in a shoe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    jonathan lorenz

@punkture

Locale: Northern California

I do a lot of hiking on the beach and am looking to get a new pair of shoes / boots for it. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as if it should be a shoe or boot , goretex or not. I currently use a pair of innov8 370s but sand fills them up within minutes. im wondering if a goretex shoe with a gaiter might be the right solution. are there any specific shoes that are better than others?

Adrien Baker

@adrien

You could pick up a pair of 'Dirty Girl Gaiters' for your Innov8's. Those seem to be a pretty popular solution.

Adrien

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

The Simblissity Levagaiters are my gaiter of choice, but they won't keep dirt/sand from the mesh of the the 370s or other similarly breathable trail shoes. AFAIK the Dirty Girl gaiters would have the same shortcoming.

Steven Inge

@tnis0612

I've been hoping to get a pair of simblissity levagaiters but will have to wait until "later this autumn". Does anyone know if there is anywhere else to get them or more specifically when they will be available?…I might just go with some dirty girl gaiters instead. Can anyone comment on the differences?

jonathan lorenz

@punkture

sorry for being a bit unclear. I realize gaiters are probably in the solution but im wondering more about the shoe. whether or not i put on gaiters,my shoe is pretty breathable and lets in sand pretty easily. Im just wondering if there is a shoe or type/style of shoe that I should be trying out or is it inevitable that hiking in sand will fill my shoes with sand.

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

I'm still removing sand from a trip two years ago.

Jack

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Goretex is hot and sweaty, so is event etc. You might want to go the other direction and get a water shoe. Like a salomon tec amphib, keen sandal etc. I don't think anything else but a full sized desert army boot will keep out sand. I wore a gortex/synth boot (Vasque Breeze) on the beach this winter and still took on sand.

jonathan lorenz

@punkture

hmm i like that idea. maybe time to get a pair of 5 fingers?

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

There's a guy with a barefoot runner site somewhere's on the interweb. He loves those things. I don't wear 'em for the fear of bigfoot hunters tracking me (I wear size 14).

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

They'd only want to photograph you wouldn't they ?

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Or shoot me and put me in a bathtub full of ice, I live in the south!
    Sorry back on topic, Teva makes very nice beach sandals with arch support. I've walked many miles in tevas, you have to break them in so you can go sockless with no blisters. Moleskin can help. or you can say screw fashion an go with the socks.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

If you do a lot of hiking on the beach then I'm sure you're aware of this fact- it's tough, tough hiking. You're either plowing and slipping through shifting, loose, dry sand or hammering your feet down on packed wet sand, which is like walking on concrete. I don't think I'd want to hike for any length of time without a well padded shoe. I've done it in sandals, with and without socks- mistake. I've done it with lots o' mesh trail runners- mistake.

I think for this type of hiking I'd resort to a well padded, comfortable tennis shoe. You don't need super lugged all terrain stealth rubber soles, so why even both with trail runners? I would probably even be tempted to toss some of those Dr. Scholls-type gel inserts in there. As for the send, well that's probably just inevitable. Gaiters might slow down the invasion but sooner or later, your shoes will be full of grit. I've often thought that if I were to do it again, I'd think about getting some Goretex socks and cutting them down to ankle height. Feet might get a little hot but- hey, you're at the beach!

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

If you do choose to hike in Tevas or sandals, trust me and wear socks. Unless you swaddle your feet in duct tape they will get chewed up from sand caught under the straps. My blisters from that 'experiment' took over a week to heal.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Very good point.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> If you do a lot of hiking on the beach then I'm sure you're aware of this fact-
    > it's tough, tough hiking. You're either plowing and slipping through shifting,
    > loose, dry sand

Has anyone ever tried kid-size snowshoes?

The (Australian) Yowie snowshoe company has photos of soldiers using Yowie snowshoes on dunes. Looked good.

Cheers

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

If there is any place to go barefooted, it is on the beach. Simple solution and no gear to buy.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Nick

Barefoot on the beach … depends on whether the beach is covered in sharp bits of shell, washed up blue bottles, jagged rock, …

After a day or so you can end up with rather abraded feet too if the sand is sharp.

Cheers

Andy Shepard
    Spectator

@callook66

Locale: Boise, ID

I would recommend some Vibram FiveFingers. Either the KSO (which stands for Keep Stuff Out), or the Flow. Both have full foot coverage to keep out sand and grit, but the Flow is made of neoprene, and is designed for cold water pursuits. The only problem I can see with this, is with the added weight of your pack, and wet, hard packed sand… it could out do the benefits of "going barefoot." Otherwise, they'd be your best bet I think. With shoes, you always get that annoying flip-up of sand onto the backs of your legs and ankles… I don't have this problem with my KSOs.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

http://www.kungfu4less.com/ninjatabiboots.html
    Just brainstorming, but these are cheap.
    Defiantly ups the geek factor.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools