Topic

Boots?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

OK, so here's the thing – I normally do my hiking in the summers or nice weather during the spring and fall. I'm most comfortable in running shoes, they just work better for me than boots.

However I have some trips planned for late fall and winter, and these are planned for way in advance and so they will be all weather trips. I'm feeling like maybe I should get boots to deal with the possibility (likelihood) of wetness. But then I think of waterproof boots and I just imagine my feet get sweated up and uncomfortable. So I'm wondering what you folks do. Do you get normal boots? Waterproof boots? Put plastic bags in your running shoes? lol – let's hear it. I hate boots, but will wear them if that's what I have to do.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Kier

We wear medium-height joggers with a waterproof membrane (typically Gore-tex, but not always) and knee-high Gore-Tex gaiters. Have a look at Will Rietveld's two article on Winter shoes. Also my review of the NB1110s and comments in When Things Go Wrong.

Cheers

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

In my opinion, the best option for winter boots which don't get sweaty is leather boots with good strong soles. But I do a lot of bashing about on sharp rocky stuff off piste, so your choice may be for something lighter and less sturdy.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

thanks Roger – I think that's what I'm looking for.

Rog – the kind of terrain you're talking about is pretty scarce around here. thanks though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools