Topic

Another nester, 2 cups 3 oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Another nester, 2 cups 3 oz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Photobucket

Another nester, 2 cups 3 oz.

Test, 2 cup boil, 70dF, 20ml of DNA, rolling boil 7.5 min, total burn 10 min.

So the rig is a chopped upsidedown fosters can, Heineken top topper. The heineken can is almost big enough to nest on a chopped foster can. Stretch the heineken can top out on the heineken can bottom.

Mount over and on top of the chopped fosters can. I dabbed expoy glue or you could solid glue it. Safer would be food grade silicone.

On top of the joint in the pic is one wrap of silicone tape.

Results 16oz boiler. Fits in either a short country time lemonade container or a double cup setup made of express oatmeal plastic cups (very light).

The connector for the express oatmael cups is a cut down top edge off a Hormel plastic chili container. Fits perfect.

Express oatmeal containers can handle boiling h20, coffee, tea etc. Can handle by the stiff rim or with a wool glove. Very thin though.

The country time lemonade container is crush proof and very tough, at a 1oz penalty.

Contents….

Can pot
    support (Heineken 12 oz can top)
    Cup stove, red bull bottom, about 1" tall.
    Spork
    Cup for measuring fuel
    Microfiber dish cloth.

3oz with the 2 express cups and connector
    4oz with the short country time lemonade container.

I must admit, I got this idea after watching a guy in the internet chop and nest 2 fosters cans.

A 2 cup boiler is almost perfect for me. Morning oatmeal and coffee. Night freeze dried takes 1.5 cups or tortellini at 1 cup plus desert 1 cup.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Keep at it, Troy! I like the ideas.

Do you have a link to the Fosters idea?

Thanks

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

http://www.instructables.com/id/4-34-oz-Ultra-light-Backpacking-Kitchen-video-de/

you can probably do with just 2 pieces to make the pot though he uses three… some jb weld could be used as well if its not a snug fit

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

is a snug fit, its just the overlap is small, like 1/4".

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I meant to say you really dont have to go through all of that on the video. Just cut off the fosters can where you want it, cut off the heineken can top at the bottom of the first ring in the taper. Strech that out a few times on the can bottom and thats about it.

The height of the cut on the foster can is about 1/4" above a 2 cup fill. It lines up with the text.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools