Topic

How to carry maps?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique How to carry maps?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Marco A. Sánchez

@marcoasn

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees

I usually carry my maps in a ziplock to protect them from any wet weather. The ziplock goes into a mesh pocket of my pack. However, I find this solution suboptimal because I need to toss the pack on and off every time I need to use the maps. I have used map cases in a neck lanyard and attached to my pack, but they tend to flap dangerously in high winds. I have also printed maps on waterproof paper and carry them in a pocket, but they end up very creased.

What I want is a solution to carry maps that leaves me hands free, but is easily accessible… in a lightweight manner. How do you carry your maps?

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

I stick my maps into a ziplock bag and then tuck them into my hipbelt strap. They rest against my stomach so they are always handy. I have never had them fall out or anything, even if I loosen my hipbelt to shift weight throughout the day. It just came to me one day while I was walking, but I think I have read about others doing the same thing.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

either in my pant pocket, or the accessible while wearing pocket on my mariposa. My of my maps are waterproof, so I don't normally use any type of map case.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

1 gallon Ziplock freezwe bags have always worked for me, but you can get a lot fancier.

See the Splashsak at http://www.loksak.com/products/splashsak

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

It depends on what type of maps I'm using. If I'm using big folded maps, then I put them in a gallon ziploc in my easily accessible side pocket (don't have to take my pack off). If I'm using maps I printed out from a CD then I fold the ones that are pertinent to that day's hike and keep them either in my shirt pocket or in my hipbelt pocket.

I would think that the GG shoulder strap or hipbelt pockets would work for you–but you would have to fold your maps (not that big of a deal).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools