Topic

Lost Creek in October

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Lost Creek in October

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I have a quick question for you Colorado folks out there. I am planning a trip with a friend in the Lost Creek Wilderness in mid October. We have a week and the plan is to basically make a huge loop through the whole area and maybe go into the Mt. Evans Wilderness as well. I'm pretty familiar with the area but I have not been there that late in the fall. What kind of conditions are typical and what would be a worst case scenerio. Can my friend survive with a 20 degree bag and liner? Also if anyone has bushwacked to the top of Windy Mtn. I'd been interested in knowing more about it.
    Thanks.
    Luke

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

Good choice for a place to go. You can expect almost anything, it can either be snowing on you like crazy or light flurries but, I would definitely expect to have maybe an inch or two of snow on the ground, for sure if you are going late october. You will find more snow on the west side vs. the east side. You friend should be ok with a 20 degree bag but, I would bring an extra layer to sleep with just in case. Check with the North Platte Ranger district about a week before you arrive for more detailed info or send me an email cause I will be there for a 4 day loop early october. I would be surprise if you bump into more then 5 people your entire trip so you will have a great time.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Peter is right on with his comments. Anything can happen in mid-October. Be sure to check the weather and have the appropriate gear.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Thanks for the info. we'll be smart and check the weather of course. The plan right now is to bring more than we're likely to need and leave extra stuff with friends. Glad to hear 20 degree bags will work as neither of us wants to spend money on new ones. We have liners and extra clothes. We chose Lost Creek because its easy to get a ride there and also its got more low elevation than other areas.
    Peter, we should be hitting the trail on the 17 of October, most likely from the Payne Creek trailhead if you're in there keep an eye out for us. If you're back by that time I'd love to get your on the spot report.
    Much appreciated guys.
    Luke

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools