Topic

Built a pack frame

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Built a pack frame

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Photobucket

I started building an Ultralight G4 pack made out of cuben and sil. Got about half way through, and thought good god this is a lot of work for a pack that will probably fall apart during or after a thru hike.

I decided to go back to the idea of a light external pack frame, and just attach a large bag to it since the G4 is just really one big bag with attached straps.

I have been working on this thing for months, mostly thinking and procrastinating. I had replaced the heavy aluminum bar frame in my old kelty pack with something similar to this.

Thought it would work okay for a pack frame. Its made out of alum tent poles and 90d corners from quest.

It is bent in an arc on the sides and bottom and the mesh stands out to keep the bag off your back. Have not bar tacked it yet.

Weighs 11oz but it is simple. Could be lighter, with a different belt (that alone weighs almost 4 oz) and maybe a carbon fiber frame.

Dont really plan on any belt padding except it will get slip on cuben or sil belt pouches so maybe I will stuff some blue foam in those.

The shoulder straps are off my old kelty pack an on there just for testing. I plan to set it up with lighter shoulder straps and shoulder pouches big enough for water bottles and a sernum strap.

The bag part will basically be a G4 without the bottom buldge, out of cuben and sil since I already have most of it made.

I imagine it should end up at about 18-20 oz.

Its possible I might have to remake the frame at some point, but at least its a start.

I also think I might need a shelf at the bottom but not sure yet.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Imho …

You need to decide whether you are building a pack to ride on your hips (most internal frame packs) or to ride on your shoulders and back (H-frame style).

If you want it to ride on your hips you will need a more robust hip-belt and dorsal pad. Worth the weight.

If you want it to ride on your shoulders, halve the weight and width of the current hip-belt.

My 2c.
    Cheers

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I am still playing with it.

Its pretty comfortable so far, but I am still working out the bag attachment. I am close as I have the cuben bag built. I should be able to set it up to easily detach the main bag.

It should weigh about 16 oz total.

Mike Philip

@mphilip

I have been toying with the same idea for some time but much like you stated i have been over thinking and procrastinating about it much to long.

Do you have a picture from the other side?

Looks like a good design so far, good luck with it.

Mike

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Not yet, I am working on a detachable bag right now. It is mostly finished and basically a G4 without the buldge.

I need to order some mesh, then that will be about it.

It should weigh about 16-18 oz complete.

I am adding a mesh bucket, (sort of) at the bottom for scuff resistance. The main bag will sit inside of that and fastened to the frame at the middle and top.

That way you can do whatever you want with the main bag.
    Swap bags, make just a large plain roll top sil sack etc.

Will post a few pics tomorrow sometime.

Mike Philip

@mphilip

its past tomorrow already…LOL…:)

have you had a chance to get some other pictures put together?

thanks,

Mike

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools