Topic

We broke David’s PCT record by “Scott Williamson”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion We broke David’s PCT record by “Scott Williamson”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Reinhold Metzger

@jmtreinhold

Returning from the JMT I found this
    message from "Scott Williamson"

Scott Williamson wrote: "We broke David's PCT record"

Hey Reinhold, Just wanted to let you know that Adam and I broke David's record! We finished at 9:58pm on 8/12
    after a 51 mile day. (We started on 6/8
    at 12 pm). David's record was 66 days, 7 hrs, 16 min. We finished in 65 days, 9 hrs, 58 min., breaking it by less than a day, but we did this as backpackers without support, never rode in a car thus we walked into and out of all our resupply towns and stuck to the official PCT 100% of the way, including around the closed glacier peak section. I lost 25 pounds but feel pretty good, but this hike was not easy!! Doing this only gives me even more respect for David Horton and what he did in 2005 which was such a high snow year.
    That guy is one of my heroes, in addition to you!
    Anyhow you are the first person outside of David and Joe I have told I wanted you to know first.
    Feel free to post about it on the list
    if you wish or tell anyone.
    I am proud to have done it along with Adam, but rather than feeling triumphant I feel lucky just to have made it to the end of a hike in which we averaged 40.5 miles a day for 65 days straight. I will be in touch.

Your friend, Scott

This was Scott's 12th PCT hike, including 2 yo-yos.
    He is without a doubt the undisputed,
    the undeniable, the unquestionabl "King
    of the PCT"….He is my hero!!!

I canot congratulate Scott & Adam enough for teir achievement.

If you are interested in reading an interview with Adam Bradley about their hike, go to the below link.

http://www.thecleanestline.com/

JMT Reinhold

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

While I wouldn't say that I really know Adam Bradley, we have emailed back and forth a bit recently. One of his emails he mentions 'I just got back from the PCT…" in passing. I had to google Adam and Scott to find out about the record. Talk about humble! Truly amazing what they did.

I feel that it is great that both the PCT and JMT records were done in a backpacking fashion as opposed to a supported ultra endurance athlete fashion. I don't think many people consider long distance backpackers athletes in the truer sense of the word–maybe that will change now?

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

A really incredible achievement. The interview at http://www.thecleanestline.com was very interesting.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Huge props guys! Adam, I'd love to hear about what resupplies you used and how it went walking into and out of each one. Congrats!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools