Topic

Choosing colors of base layers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Choosing colors of base layers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

I'm just curious as to what criteria everyone goes on in selecting the color of their base layers. Do you tend to go with darker or lighter colors?

The ones obvious to me are:

1. Sunlight absorption/reflection – Darker-colored garments will be warmer in direct sunlight, which is a good or bad thing, depending on the season/climate you are in. Also, darker-colored garments *should* dry out faster after a washing, compared with lighter-colored garments.

2. "Cleanliness". Dirt, stains, etc. will be less visible and apparent on darker-colored garments.

3. Whatever you like/Whatever looks good on you – Assuming that color has no direct relationship with functionality, it's up to personal preference. For some, the base layer becomes their lounge wear, casual wear, campwear, etc. after a long day on the slopes or on the trails. And when your activities involve members of the opposite sex, you gotta look good, right?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

4. Whatever's on sale.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

I tend to go for a happy medium. You don't often see white icebreaker tops, and I guess it would get grubby pretty quickly. I avoid really dark colours because of the heat factor in sunlight. So usually end up with light blue, green etc.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I prefer medium colors, but never blue. (Hasn't anyone else noticed how flies are attracted to the color blue?)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I agree with Joe– whatever's on sale. Most of the time base layers are hidden under an outer layer or inside my sleeping bag, so it doesn't really matter if the top is pink and the bottom is purple. Those are the two colors I detest the most, unfortunately quite common in women's outdoor clothing and the most apt to show up on closeout sales–obviously a lot of other women share my color dislikes. Even black is not a big deal as long as the garment is not directly in contact with my perpetually shedding blond dog. For outer clothing that does come in contact with the dog, obviously khaki is my color of choice.

I've given up wearing my base layer top as a hiking shirt as recommended in many gear lists. This practice may save weight, but even when the top is sprayed with permethrin, the bugs bite right through it, and the knit fabric is easily snagged.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Hasn't anyone else noticed how flies are attracted to the color blue?
    Oh Yeah! We have a blue tent …
    But they get a bit stupid once it gets cold.

Cheers

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

When it's really hot I go for white for maximum sun reflection. It's not hot I prefer clothing that doesn't show dirt (dark brown, etc) … but availability or price will lead me to go with other cools. In places with hunters (and I expect the the base layer to be exposed) I like bright florescent yellow or blaze orange. My perfect base would be a black feather-weight powerdry shirt with the ColdBlack treatment.

–Mark

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I prefer black mostly for heat absorption. I like to wake up in the morning, step out of my tent and feel the sun warm me up.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I like to wake up in the morning, step out of my tent and feel the sun warm me up.
    7069Moiry.jpg
    Ah yes … er …

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Joe said-
    4. Whatever's on sale.

Cha-ching!

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

3. Whatever I like the looks of.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools