Topic

24: Fast water, manzanita, and some alpenglow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery 24: Fast water, manzanita, and some alpenglow

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

…oh, and some hard-earned peace & quiet.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Manzanita-eering, will never catch on:

Highs:

…and lows. Off trail, below treeline, be like:

shout-out to backcountry bridges:

and bean & cheese burritos:

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Thanks for sharing! Looks like the water levels were down ;)

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

That is some seriously agitated water.  I’d say the manzanita must have looked like a pretty good option by comparison, and I don’t say that lightly.  Looks like you had a pretty good time of it overall nonetheless.  Thanks for sharing.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Thanks for the comments, fellas.

The power of that water was really impressive. I camped within earshot of the creek and throughout the night I could hear kind of a grind and moan sound of what I surmised were boulders being pushed around by the water.

The mileage was relatively short and I’ve been through this area before so I thought I’d make it interesting by exploring cross country. I’ll chalk it up to a win overall because I did see some inspiring country that I hadn’t in my previous trips here, but boy the manzanita was thick and had me second guessing my route choices. Regardless, I did have a wonderful time.

I only saw two day hikers near the trailhead and that was it. Plenty of time to think and sort out life’s problems.

I glimpsed a bear, maybe two, and a few hawks. Tons of lizards. No mosquitoes!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools