Topic

24: A cold night in Desolation Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery 24: A cold night in Desolation Wilderness

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Beautiful.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Wow. Stunning photos. Thanks for sharing.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I know almost nothing about the Desolation Wilderness other than it’s up near Lake Tahoe. Which part is this? What’s the altitude like?

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

That was a wonderful series of photos.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Thanks, all. I think the moody skies, early season green foliage, and a few highlights of snow are the standouts here.

Matthew K, Yes, just west of Lake Tahoe in the southwest quadrant of the Wilderness. A paved road off of a major highway leads to a marked trailhead w/ a parking lot adjacent to a campground. From the TH, I travelled on a well marked trail to a few lakes that are no secret, but I’m still reluctant to name them here. Elevation ranges from about 6,900 ft. – 8,100 ft. Feel free to PM me for more info.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

How exciting! Great photos. Was this recent? I’ll be heading that way soon, cannot wait.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Thank you. Yes, just last week (June 17-18). Enjoy your trip!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

That last shot should be in Locus Gear’s catalogue.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Note the effective use of rocks as anchors. There is no soil.

For those with families or partners who don’t like to backpack, it’s easy to stay in a motel and day hike major miles through Desolation and all around the Lake. Trail heads are all over the west shore (Desolation access) and in fact all around the lake. So five to twenty minutes from lodging, possibly. Hike  a different trail head each day.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Ha, thanks, Wisner. I may have to look into submitting it. Ooh, maybe they’ll offer a coupon or something in return. I’ve been eyeing their larger Khafra and saving my pennies to hopefully purchase one day.

Jscott, Yes, no significant soil to speak of on this ledge to drive a stake in securely. Maybe an inch or two of decomposed granite on top of hard granite. Thus, big rocks for the win. It was windy all day with stronger winds, freezing temps, and snow flurries forecasted overnight, so I made an effort to get it right.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Thus, big rocks for the win.

On an upcoming trip with a lot of mileage above treeline I’m going to be carrying 6-8 3′ loops of cord for my Solomid for this purpose.

Locus Gear makes beautiful gear

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Marvelous photos. You pitched your tarp beautifully in a beautiful spot. Quilt or sleeping bag?

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Wisner, Sounds like a good idea and surely lighter than beefy stakes. I’ve actually done this in the past for extra guyout points, but not that main ones. No good reason not to though now that I think about it. I might have to do the same.

David, Thanks. On leisurely trips I’ll spend the extra time to find that “perfect” spot. I probably spent a good hour and a half this time because I was mostly looking for a place sheltered from the wind.

I’m still an old school sleeping bag user (WM Megalite). I like to cowboy camp when I can and I’m not sure I’d feel “secure” enough to do so in a quilt. Packing my fears, I guess.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

I’m old school too. I have both, but for tarp + wind + low temps + possible precipitation I go with the a bag every time.

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

Good choice of campsite—away from the shoreline.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

Ooooohhh, that last photo is one sexy tent pitch shot! Nice and taught with an epic background. Perfect.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools