Topic

BMW poncho/tarps…WOW!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BMW poncho/tarps…WOW!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

did anyone else notice the amazing weight changes in the bozeman mountain works poncho tarps?

spinn poncho T-lite 4.4oz!
    spinn poncho Lite 4.7oz!

are these NANO fabric ponchos.
    I dont know how else the weight could have changed this much?

RJ when will the T lites be available?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Ryan F, The smaller poncho/ tarp uses about 3.66sq yards of fabric. The two easy to get (at this time) light Cuben is 0.35oz and 0.44oz a sq yard. This is plus or minus a bit and would be from 1.28oz to 1.61oz of fiber plus the 12 tie outs and what ever else is sewn on the tarp. The next light weight Poncho/Tarp I make the size of the small BMW one could be about 2oz or less.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Bill,

I cant wait to see that. I think for this next one, you could find a little lighter tie out system. I understand the need for reinforced tie outs, but you could just use another layer of cuben in the corner, instead of all the webbing.

But I am still wondering what these new ponchos are made of. if it is not NANO or cuben. is it the .9oz sil nylon used on the old one, if so, where dose the weight savings come from?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Those are regular spinnaker LITE material. We saved weight, believe it or not, and quite embarrasingly so, in the trims: snaps, tie-outs, drawcord, toggles.

The Nano ones are coming in at around 2.5 oz and change, but I’m not sure if we’ll bring those to market. Is there a demand?

All the “T”‘s sold out today QUICK and we didn’t even advertise it. There are only a few of the regular hooded one’s left.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I was typing slowly while Ryan answered the question. I agree 2.5oz and change may be about it for the light side. That is unless Cuben makes something lighter. I would say you did trim things real close to get that weight with the spinnaker material. No Fat is good.

Bill,
    Q – 1. I cant wait to see that. I think for this next one, you could find a little lighter tie out system. I understand the need for reinforced tie outs, but you could just use another layer of cuben in the corner, instead of all the webbing.

A – 1. My tie outs for the next one will weigh next to nothing. Everything will be Cuben. I have more or less worked that out and have tested my new webbing for strength. It seems very strong.

Q – 2. But I am still wondering what these new ponchos are made of. if it is not NANO or cuben. is it the .9oz sil nylon used on the old one, if so, where dose the weight savings come from?

A – 2. My guess is they are Nano aka Cuben and it says the 12 tie outs are grosgrain. The edges look like they are hemed and I did not nor would I do that on mine. If the edges also are lined with grosgrain that might be why they weigh so much.

I have to laugh at that. 4.4oz and I still think it is to to heavy.

My first Cuben Poncho/Tarp weighs 2.81oz if you don’t count the tie out cords and stakes. It is 48″ wide by 90″ long. That is 3.33 sq yards vs the BMW at 3.66 sq yards. I think I need to up the weight of my next lightest Poncho/Tarp to maybe 2.5oz. I haven’t weighed the new webbing yet.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Ryan,

please bring the poncho/tarps to market.

look at how fast you sold those ponchos today, think of how well a tarp half the weight would sell.

I cant wait, I can tell you that. if you do decide to sell them (please) I promise I will buy one. and I bet many others would say the same.

ever since BMW came out with the NANO line of gear, I have been waiting for the poncho tarp. Sure I could make a cuben tarp. But I trust BMW more than myself to make high quality gear. Bozeman Mountain Works is a great company

BTW, I am still awaiting a NANO pack.
    do you have any pack prototypes?

Do you know the weight of an X- NANO tarp. I am sure it will be ridiculously light. I mean it is only 4 oz now. I bet it could get under 2oz

Michael Demchak

@mikey

Locale: new england

Ryan Jordan are you serious? cmon now why carry that extra 2+ ounces? and if you dont get on the wagon soon, before you know it MLD is going to have the jump on you :D
    mike!

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Ron @ MLD seems to be a little leary of Nano/Cuben–especially as a tarp material — a view expressed in an e-mail conversation w/ me. I think he’s waiting to see what track record the BMW gear develops. Someone’s gotta to be bleeding edge.

On the other hand, I wish BMW had some competition pioneering this material. Maybe I would see some Nano VB clothing sooner. ;-P>

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Kevin,
    I have no experience with Cuben. From what I can gather from others, puncture resistance seems to be the Achilles heal of Cuben. Because of this it seems to me that a tarp is one of the better uses of Cuben. I know that Ron has done some experimenting. And I know the discussion was between the two of you. Is there anything you feel comfortable passing along? I am seriously considering replacing my hammock tarp with one made of Cuben.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

There are no secrets, just what I wrote. Ron is an innovative guy and will use whatever materials seem appropriate to him. I won’t be surprised if Cuben products don’t start finding their way to his site. This is surmise–I have no inside line nor an agenda.

I have not used the BMW Nano tarps— If they seem to work out for people in the same conditions (brutal) I use my Spinnaker Tarp, I definitely would get one.

As to use in a hammock, well I’m not a hammock camper, so I am the last to advise you on this. Bill
    Fornshell would be the resident expert on this Forum on the use of Cuben in applications that BMW doesn’t address.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools