Topic

How to make a Tyvek Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How to make a Tyvek Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Hall

@mjhall2

Locale: Western North Carolina

I have recently caught onto the Backpacking light idea and am wanting to make some of my own gear. I just finished a heineken stove, and now I want to make a minimalist tarp shelter out of Tyvek. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I should go about this?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Theres are thread on homemade tent in Philmont section.

Kristofor Hallee

@hart_atk

Locale: Canadian Rockies
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

why tyvek? it is not a super fabric, just a super name. It isn't strong. Sil 2nds from OWFINC.com are the cheapest option for a trap that will last. I know about a million people are going to blast me for doubting tyvek, but i don't trust it.

-Tim

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

Agreed Tim, Tyvek isn't all that light…or waterproof, and silnylon is cheap and easy to sew. And lighter.

Example;
    SMDTyvek 48 x 84 footprint = 6.05oz

MYOG 1.1oz (actually 1.3oz) 60 x 84 with guy-outs and cord = 5.85oz

Link to MYOG project;
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=23878&skip_to_post=193278#193278

Michael Hall

@mjhall2

Locale: Western North Carolina

How much would the materials for those cost? I know that I can get everything that I would need to make a Tyvek shelter for about $15. I am a college student with a very limited budget, so not only is that price very attractive but I have read a ton of great reviews on the material. I dont have any experience with it of my own, so I am going only on what I have read and heard by word of mouth.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

I got the material at this site;

http://www.questoutfitters.com

The sylnylon was $3.25 per linear yard (5'wide material), and the 1/2" grosgrain webbing $.35 per yard.

They shipped it out very quickly, and even lowered the shipping cost from the first estimate once it shipped out. I will buy from them again.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i use Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics.

http://owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/Ripstop.asp#Nylon%20Ripstop:%20Coated

Same basic stuff. 1.1sil coated is the deal!

-Tim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools