Topic

Cold Freeze Dried???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cold Freeze Dried???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Philip

@mphilip

Have any of you guys tried to rehydrate a Mountain House using just cold water?

If yes, how did it work…does a guy really need to pack a stove. I am tempted to try one at home but if someone else has tried it i thought i would save myself a world of possible yuk if it goes bad..

Any info would be great.

Mike

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I suppose it's possible, but the taste factor would plummet. I've let some cooked camp food get cold and my alfredo mac-n-cheese made me gag. Also it would probably take hours to rehydrate, and that may only be partially hydrated at best.

I say, test away at home. Worst case, you're only out $5.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I've been doing that with ramen lately and the taste factor did eventually plummet for me. Amazing how a little heat can improve taste.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yes and no. I do many DIY meals/recipes that are cold friendly. You have to have patience and time – most will take 20 minute to an hour. (Or more) As well, some commercial meals can be soaked (for example Packit Gourmet as a couple that work well with cold.)

But…some commercial meals DO need hot water to work right – they may have sauces that won't thicken. Or the flavor will taste off.

I wouldn't recommend using MH for this, their meals often contain a LOT of sauce. Other brands though like Backpackers Pantry and Alpine Aire do have ones that will work.

For example also, ramen and couscous can be done cold – but for best taste you need lots of flavors added.

Michael Sydlaske
    Spectator

@msydlaske

For the past several years, I've used MH without heating. I think the taste is almost as good / only a little worse than hot-water-added MH. Most of the rice-based dinners I've tried don't need 20 minutes to rehydrate, and I avoid meals that have chunks of beef or pork.

I've been thinking not of starting to bring stove & fuel again, but of bringing a small bottle of Sriracha sauce.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I have heard of people doing that, leaving it in the sun on top of pack, etc to warm up a bit.

Never have done it myself.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

Sounds pretty nasty to me…. Packit Gourmet makes a chicken salad that rehydrates with cold water and is pretty darn tasty– I'd go more with something like that before I'd do cold MH.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Try it at home. Put the meal into a microwave safe bowl. Let it sit until soft (could be an hour). If it's gross…microwave it so you aren't out a meal ;)

Corbin Camp

@heycorb

Locale: Southeast

If the ~5oz for a stove and some fuel means you aren't eating something that tastes like crap, then I'm all for it.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I've done it and it worked fine.

I had no time to stop and simply ate the meal from the package with a water chaser as I walked.

Taste is not a big deal for me when I'm backpacking. I see food simply as fuel.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

My recent use of Mountain House "Chicken and Rice" is mighty good cold on a hot day(yesterday). Nice to have it "warm" for breakfast(today). Mountain House really knows how to season their products to make them taste good cold or hot. You want the best, you gotta pay the price.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Its all in your head.
    Cold food is fine, you are just not conditioned to eating some kinds of things cold.

Paul Mason

@dextersp1

I really like the MSR foldable spoon, freezer bags and a reflectix cozy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools