Topic

3 Day Loops in KY/TN

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 3 Day Loops in KY/TN

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Does anyone have a "must-do" 3 day outing in the KY/TN area? I am looking at Land Between the Lakes, Mammoth Cave, etc but cant seem to get a good trip planned out. It does not have to be one of those 2 parks but the closer to nashville the better.

My wife is relatively new to hiking so would like to keep it under 6-7 miles per day. I am thinking of getting there around 8-9am Saturday Morning, and need to be heading home around 3-4pm Monday.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

I would recommend Big South Fork – under 3 hrs from Nashville, underused compared to Red River Gorge, some nice sights, lots of loop options – try to utilize the non-horse trails when possible – I'd be glad to help you find a loop option in you want.

There are lots of 3 day loop options at Red River Gorge

I haven't been to LBL but have heard it isn't quite as nice as RRG.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Yes Chris that would be great, thanks. Any advice on Loop options in Big South Fork would be welcomed. We are looking to get in early saturday morning. Like I said I would like to keep each day under 6-7 miles if possible. My wife is a tad new to backpacking, and I have only had her out up to 5 miles in one day to get used to carrying the weight. So something camping Saturday night, sunday night, then hiking back out monday would be excellent!

Thanks!

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

You'll need to buy the National Geographic map – there are no good free maps for the area.

1. About 18 or 19 miles – Start at Bandy Creek – Katie Trail – Jacks Ridge Loop – Laurel Fork Creek Trail east – John Muir Trail south – Fall Branch trail – John Litton Farm loop south

Some nice walking along the river, and some walking along the ridge. I would think this would make a nice fall colors hike.

Nice camping along laurel fork creek trail

2. Another option would be to head farther north to Charit Creek lodge, adding about 2-3 miles.

http://www.charitcreek.com/

At Charit you could make reservations for breakfast or dinner – might be a nice option for a first timer who isn't too keen on backpacking food. Or you can stay overnight one night $60PP with breakfast and dinner You could then hike east on station camp creek trail.

Also nice camping about 1/4 mile down twin arches trail coming from Charit creek lodge, on the islands in the middle of the river, just after the horse trail turns off to the left.

The other loop I had in mind is going to be a bit longer. You can drive over to twin arches and hike down there (1/2 mile?) if you have the time.

CM

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Thanks for taking the time to lay that out there Chris.

Along this loop:

About 18 or 19 miles – Start at Bandy Creek – Katie Trail – Jacks Ridge Loop – Laurel Fork Creek Trail east – John Muir Trail south – Fall Branch trail – John Litton Farm loop south

I noticed you said Laurel Fork Creek would have some nice camping, what other area would be nice to camp the second night? Also, are there designated sites to camp? I am picking up the NG map tomorrow.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

You should be able to find somewhere on the ridge on the JMT with a little effort, I think.

CM

david woods

@woodsie

Locale: Middle Tennessee

another place to look into, look at scra near monteagle, stone door and savage gulf sides both have several great loops with sites throughout.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools