Topic

Collapsable Hiking Poles on Plane

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Collapsable Hiking Poles on Plane

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Bob,
    They are not allowed to be CHECKED – that is what is prohibited.

I just noticed I can't take my dropper bottle of bleach either so will ship that, too. It's so much more dangerous than butane.

Ben, I'm flying Frontier on the cheap tix so it's $20 to check a bag.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I see. Mailing is prolly cheaper — though not by much. They all try to get us, one way or another.

As for lighters, two or so are absolutely OK to carry on. Can't imagine why anyone will need more than that.

I do carry a dropstopper bottle of bleach with me though. It ain't a danger to anyone. Not saying it's OK or anything… we form our own judgment on this one. After all, shipping bleach is just as safe — AND illegal as well!!

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

It's not bleach, it's water purification liquid. ;)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Or it's eye drops — oh, so confusing!! :)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Silly. That's a laundry agent.

It goes in a small bottle with the rest of the liquid toiletries.

–B.G.–

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

> Edit: I just remembered that under Obama things Are changing. For instance, a folding knife under 4" is now allowed. Go Figure.

Not yet. Scissors under 4" are OK, but not knives. I tested them on the flight home – lost the knife. Also wouldn't allow an unopened soda bottle.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

My other checked item was… a bottle of vodka, unopened, since TSA allows unopened booze up to 140 proof (for personal use, ha) in checked baggage

Stargazer

May I ask what brand of Vodka that was? Finding something right around 140 proof seems elusive.

HJ

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I was searching for 140 proof booze last year, so I went to one of the best stocked liquor stores in the area. There was some Polish vodka right around there, and also some whisky. Unfortunately, that high in proof and it doesn't come cheap.

As much as I hated to, I test burned some 140 proof whisky, and I didn't think it burned that great. If that had been my only alternative, then I would have transported the whisky and burned it.

–B.G.–

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I was wondering about that (how well it would burn) since 140 proof is only 70% alcohol. Sounds like it doesn't burn very well at all.

Best bet still seems to be to try to find something on the ground at your destination.

HJ

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools