Topic

Integral Designs Silcoat Cape?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Integral Designs Silcoat Cape?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Does anyone have any experience withe integral designs silcoat cape? It looks interesting and the weight is only 5 ounces. I don’t want to use a poncho for a shelter, but I don’t mind using it as rain gear. The cape looks like a good compromise between a light poncho that does not turn into a shelter. What do those who have seen one or tried one on think about the cape?

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Mixed emotions about it.

The large size
    Pros:
    1. I like the light weight and small packed size.
    2. It’s neat the way it stuffs into an inside small pouch with overlapping flap for stowage – nice small package.
    3. The large size adequately covers a fully stuffed 3200 in^3 SixMoonDesigns Essence pack.
    4. The included bungee cord is useful for securing the rear of the cape under the pack.

Cons:
    1. I find it a bit more difficult to get over my pack and secured in place than a larger poncho-tarp – its shape undoubtedly has something to do with this since it’s basically a diamond shape.
    2. If you’re using trekking poles there is not much coverage for the arms and it drapes in an unfamiliar way about the arms and interferes just a bit with trekking pole use.
    3. It uncovers a great deal of your front if you lift your arms for any reason – one example of which is using trekking poles.
    4. It could really benefit from one snap per side to form “sleeves” like in a poncho-tarp, but that might just cause it to uncover more of your front when moving/lifting the arms.
    5. It really blows about in the wind – more so than a poncho.
    6. If your hands are free and you don’t need them for any other purpose, it’s rather easy to gather the cape more tightly against your body to prevent entry of driving rain in a windy storm.
    7. I Need to wear either my Epic by Nextec fabric trail cargo pants, or my silnylon chaps (or rain pants) inorder to keep the legs dry.
    8. Unlike a poncho, you can’t really secure it around your waist since this would bind the arms close to the body and limit arm movement – trekking pole use would not be possible if cape was secured around the waist.

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Paul, thank you for the feedback. I do use trekking poles and I was interested in how they would work while using the cape. Your review was great and I really appreciate your thoughts.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!