Topic

Dymo Scales

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dymo Scales

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Tim Testa

@michaelredbeard

I have the opportunity to get the following scale for $27.50 all together with shipping and taxes already included. Does anyone know if this is a good scale? Also judging by the specifications, this scale does measure grams right?

http://global.dymo.com/enUS/ProductSpecs/SP5_-_5_lb_Digital_Mailing_Scale.html

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yeah it looks like a good scale. I've found my $3.99 scale to be extremely accurate (to the gram) so I'm sure this scale with a $50 MSRP is quite accurate too. From the discription, it appears to measure grams….it says it's accurate to 1g so that's gotta mean it measures grams.

One thing to keep in mind is portability. I never thought of this when I bought my tiny pocket scale, but since I got it I've taken it with me a lot. Whenever I buy gear now I bring the scale so I can verify weighs. It's come in handy several times already.

Tim Testa

@michaelredbeard

Thanks for the advice Dan. I think Ebay will be my next stop after buying this one. I put a 2lb 8oz weight on it and it weighed it in at 2lbs 9.6ozs. I tried a couple of other things on it too. Complete crap. I returned it immediately! Stay away from Dymo!

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Dan, where did you get your scale and what model is it? Tim, if you find a good one, let me know. Looking as well. Think there are some old posts on the topic too, but no time to search them now.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Mine is a pocket scale I got from ebay that is good up to 2000g. Just search for '2000g pocket scale' on eBay and there is lots. This is exactly like mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2000g-0-1g-DIGITAL-POCKET-ct-MINI-LCD-Jewelry-SCALES_W0QQitemZ140341388492QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20acffa4cc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I know mine is accurate because a lot of my gear I had weighed previously at work on an expensive scale and with this scale everything weighed within a gram of those weights.

To use this small scale with large stuff I either hang a hanger on the scale, zero it and then hang the item on the hanger OR I set something on the scale that is tall and wide (ie. a Nalgene bottle), zero the scale, and then set the item on the bottle.

Tim Testa

@michaelredbeard

Hey EJ, I sent you a PM, feel free to look it over when you get a chance ;)

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Timothy can I ask what kind of 2 lb 8 oz weight you put on it? As in a weight plate?

Tim Testa

@michaelredbeard

Yes I put a 2.5Lb Olympic plate on it. I also put this tote on it was that stated as being 4.25ozs on it and it ended up weighing in at 3.9ozs. There was no way that I planned on keeping it with these kinds of varations. Why? What were you going to say? Or what are you going to say having heard this information =)

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

You more than likely sent back a scale that worked just fine. The 2.5lb plate probably had a manufacturing tolerance even if only +/- 5% that falls well within the range that the manufacturer will pass as a 2.5lb weight (the plate probably weighed 2 lb 9.6oz). I'm not saying for certain the scale wasn't crap, but I would suggest a much more specific testing on your next scale. Test with things that you can verify the weight on. You cannot count on manufacturer spec. If you don't have anything else you can always use 5 quarters. They weigh in @ 28g or 29g (1oz) total. Good luck with the next one. Hope this helps a little.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

FYI I found the BPL Feedback Sports Summit scale on sale for only $42 (cheaper than BPL) below. I'm sure it's excellent, but I'd prefer an even cheaper one.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?ID=84974

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Hi Anna, thanks for the link – which one are you recommending? Most of them look pretty expensive.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

thanks, how accurate is the Ultra 35?

The Feedback Sports model measures in 1g increments (1 gram = 0.0352739619 ounces), so it should be more accurate, but I think the Ultra 35 should be accurate enough; it's also nice that it goes up to 35 lbs for weighing heavier items like a pack.

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

I sell scales for a living.

I use MyWeigh i5000. They're perfect as they weigh up to 11 pounds, are durable, and accurate.

Jack

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Thanks – i5000 seems to give you the same resolution of the Feedback Sports model but with the ability to weight to almost double the weight.

Specs:

i5000 Bowlscale
    Specifications
    Capacity
    5000g x 1.0g | 11lb x 0.05oz | 11lb x 0.002lb
    Accuracy/Readability
    +/- 1.0g / 0.05oz / 0.002lb
    Calibration
    Digital Auto Calibration
    Accessories
    Acrylic Bowl, 4AAA batteries (included), AC Adaptor is optional (6v). Integrated Parts Counting Feature is included standard.
    Tray/Platform Size
    9" x 4" (23cm x 10cm)
    Dimensions
    8" x 5 1/2" (20cm x 14cm)
    Operation temp.
    64f – 85f
    Warranty
    Lifetime/30 year worldwide warranty

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Jack, what's the difference between the i5000 and i5000H?

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

H is for hemp! Its made of some hemp plastic composite. I only stock the H. Looks great and less like a scale. Very accurate, but don't throw them into a wall.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools