Topic

Dry Suit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Dry Suit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

What light options are out there for keeping dry while packrafting in fall/winter conditions? I remember some sort of Silnylon suit that Hig and Erin used in Alaska.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Kevin,

Erin and Hig wore a prototype 2-piece Alpacka semi-dry suit. In their blog they said it was a stretch WPB fabric. The only stretch fabric with adequate hydrostatic head was Toray's Entrant Dermizax three layer material. Assuming this was the material used, Dermizax tests 8,000-10,000g/m2/24 using the JIS L1099 B-1 test. By contrast, other breathability results using the same tests are: eVENT, laminated to nylon, yields 27,826g/m2/24 hours; Gore-Tex XCR yields 21,194g/m2/24 hours; and Marmot PreCip yields about the same at 10,000g/m2/24 hours. The weight was never published but the gaskets would likely necessitate a total weight no less than 2 lbs.

My size L 2-piece Mont-Bell/Kokatat semi-dry combo weighs 2.1 lbs. This combo allows a small amount of water in (1-2 cups) during a long white water swim but, not enough to experience cold water flushing.

My size L Kokatat GFER dry suit weighs 3 pounds and is absolutely dry inside after a long white water swim.

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

I'll wait for the Alpacka version.

I figure that the qualities that make the Packrafts great, will work well for the dry suits.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools