Topic

Time for a new pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Time for a new pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

Ok, It’s time for a new pack (hopefully much lighter than my current 7lb monster.)

Here’s my requirements:

I would consider myself a “lightweight” hiker, NOT UL or SUL. I sometimes carry a 4lb tent, sometimes a tarp, a canister stove, a 2.5lb sleeping bag, etc.

I need to be able to attach snowshoes, ice axe, and crampons for off trail scrambling/winter travel. Also, sometimes a fishing pole.

I’d like to be able to buy from REI, as I have a $250 gift card.

I’m thinking around 50-60L in order to have room for winter stuff. Also, I often go w/ my girlfriend, who is much more likely to go if I carry more of the gear.

A couple of the packs I’ve looked at:
    Gregory Z pack (just over 3lbs, but no daisy chains for external gear)

Granite Gear Alpine Vapor (2lb10oz) Daisy chains, better attachment points, but I cant see it in person, I’d just have to order it off the website.

Mont bell ul 50… looks good, but not from REI.

Thanks for the input.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Golite Gust?

it has snow shoe and ice axe attachments

and it is huge

not to mention that it is made from one of the strongest fibers in the world, and only for 20oz

J R

@ravenul

Given your criteria, and a perusal of the REI site, I’d look long and hard at the Granite Gear.

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

I’d also recommend the Granite Gear pack. I’ve got a Vapor Trail – the Alpine Vapor is derived from it. I love my Vapor Trail, unreservedly. I’ve tried twice now to wean myself away from it, to lighter packs, and twice I’ve returned to it. I’ve carried 30 pounds in it with no discomfort, and 35 in reasonable comfort (it’s rated for 30.) Well built, superb suspension. Go with Granite Gear.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

From REI my first choice would be the Granite Gear Vapor Trail, or Alpine Vapor if you want the extra durability. If you and going to consistantly be hauling more than 30lbs or more than around 3200ci I would look at the Osprey Aether 60. If you are normally hiking in warmer weather I would look at the Osprey Atmos 50.

–mark

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Check out the Golite Infinity – a terrific all around pack and a great winter pack, only about 2 lb 6 oz, available at REI. Check out rave review right here on BPL. I’m like you – like to save weight where I can and lighten up, but not ultra light. What’s nice about this pack is that it has an excellent full suspension which is still superlight – you can carry up to 40 lbs if you needed to or wanted to. Picking this pack up for myself and my wife as our new all around pack/ambitious daypack/winter pack.

If you need something larger, check out their Galaxy or Perspective packs.

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

Locale: South Bayish

Options: Granite Gear packs as mentioned or Osprey Aether series

As an osprey aether 60 owner I can attest to it’s comfort and excellent design. Mine is a few years old and as I understand they have been ‘beefing it up’ annually (heavier). It also has snow sport specific features….several reviews on this site.

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Thanks for all your great replies…

I think I’m getting it narrowed it down to the Osprey Aether or the Granite gear Alpine vapor.

The golite gust isnt available (at REI), and I think the Infinity is too small.

I tried on the Gregory Z pack with 35lbs in it, and it was really comfortable, but just didnt have the attachment points on the outside. Maybe I could add something to a pack without these?

Also, the Osprey Aether doesnt seem to be available in a small (my torso size is 17″) Their medium starts at 18″.

J R

@ravenul

Ian, will REI order a Granite Gear into the shop for you to try on and load up?

If so, you might want to give that a try.

Jeff Black

@thehikingdude

Check out the REI UL 45. The large holds 50L. I just recently got it and plan on using it for a 1-nighter at the end of March.

I’ve put it on and loaded it up and it feels great – but the real test will come soon. If I remember correctly I weighed it @ 40.7 oz. Plus it will cinch up very small to act as a day pack as well. The discontinued color is on sale right now. Good luck!!!

-jeff

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

Locale: South Bayish

The women’s version of the Aether is the Ariel(i think I have the name right.) It is very similar to the aether except that it includes a size small model and the harness is women specific. When I got my aether 60 the shop owner told me that the women’s/men’s harness sytems are interchangeable and could be swapped out easily in-store. You might check with REI on this possibility or better yet check with Osprey and then REI (sometimes retail folks don’t have the full details.)

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Ok, I’ve gone ahead and ordered the Granite Gear Alpine Trail into the store. I’ll go check it out. As far as the REI UL goes, it looks good, but no ice axe loops. Good idea on the Osprey ariel women’s pack. I’ll check that out next. However, if the GG works, it’s over a pound lighter, and bit cheaper.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>As far as the REI UL goes, it looks good, but no ice axe loops.

All of the REI UL packs have two ice axe loops (except the Flash UL 25, which has one) constructed from cord, grommet, barrel and cord-lock; it’s an interesting design. The packs are well-constructed with a lot of handy features. They’re light compared to most every other pack at REI, but heavier than some UL packs discussed on BPL. The REI Flash UL 25 (9.4 oz) is a great day-hiking pack; I’ve used it snowshoeing and skiing this winter. I picked up an REI UL 45 (Women’s small is 40 liter; 37.1 oz) for a nephew next summer because it should hold up to kid abuse better than most UL packs.

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Oh, I was wondering what those were… a bit hard to tell from the picture, but I guess I should have figured. Maybe I’ll take a look in person when i’m up there.

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Hey all,

Thanks for your input on this…. I had them order a GG alpine vapor into the store, loaded it up, and realized that it prob. isnt for me. It seems like it needs a pad rolled up in the upper part of the pack to give it structure, and I use a inflatable insul-mat.

So, I’m back to considering the osprey Aether 60. I tried one on in a size medium and it seemed to fit fine. I would rather have something lighter, but it’s got to be comfortable and carry all my crap, so maybe 4 lbs is what I’ve got to do.

J R

@ravenul

“It seems like it needs a pad rolled up in the upper part of the pack to give it structure, and I use a inflatable insul-mat.”

That doesnt have to be a deal breaker if you liked the GG otherwise. An inflateable mat can still be used to give a pack like a GG structure.

You deflate the mat, roll it up and put it into the pack, and then let the mat gently inflate inside the pack.

Works well.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Hey Ian,
    If you’ve still got access to the GG, I’d experiment more. The fist time I packed my V. Trail to 30lbs, I found it less than ideal comfort-wise too. I tinkered awhile w/ organization, and then was amazed. Can’t say what I changed exactly — its not like I was totally careless at first. Just a quirk, took maybe 3 tries to iron out. Now I love it.

I agree w/ Joe 100% – since it already has a pretty supportive framesheet, adding your mat whould structure the top more. However for 35lb kits, I’d say the Aether really is elbowing toward a different class of pack. Not the heaviest in that class by far, so I wouldn’t be totally surprised either. If youre really torn, best to scrutinize more affordably replaced items (can easily equal lbs) before balking over an extra 12 ozs of pack. But if not you could try to find the 04 model and at least avoid making it an extra 19. best of luck.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you want to get a pack on the lighter side of 4 pounds, using a pad for structure is a common part of the compromise. If you have it all packed right, I don’t think you would need to inflate the pad, but you could if you have way too much room– never happens to me! The inflatable pad might slip around a bit when you start to fill the pack, but it will settle down once you get some things in there. I use a Ridgrest and it is kind of sticky, so it is harder to get it expanded and start the packing. When you put your pad in, the idea is to stuff it tight with clothes and sleeping bag to form a firm vertical column. IMHO, all the frameless packs feel like wet noodles until they are packed and the compression straps are snugged up. The whole idea is to vector the weight off to the hipbelt using the whole structure of the pack and contents rather than to rely on heavier stays to do the job. It seems fussy at first, but an evening spent experimenting with your gear and getting the right combination of stuff sacks and layering of gear will get you over learning curve. Tossing the test weights that REI has around the pack area probably doesn’t give a decent test for any of the UL frameless packs. UL packing is a system of components that work together and if you ignore one part of the system, it falls apart.

I use synthetic sleeping bags and I found that volume was an issue, especially with a heavier winter bag, but some experimentation worked it out. I went from a GoLite Gust to a Trek to get a little more volume and some more external storage so I could use the main body of the pack for a big stuff sack— pad rolled inside with sleeping bag on the bottom, cook kit and food next and clothes on top. All my snacks, essentials and gadgets can then go in the top lid and the front pocket. I use a Playtpus 2L bladder in the internal sleeve. When it is all done up right, I have a comfortable, stable, and light load.

Robert Ebel

@poop

Locale: Earth Orbit

Too bad REI doesn’t sell McHale.

Casey Ryska

@cryska

Have you tried the GG Nimbus Ozone or the GG Nimbus Latitude? I have the Nimbus Latitude and love it. It’s a simple design but I find that it works really well. In fact, it has proven to be the best pack for snowshoeing I have tried. It compresses really well when I have a lighter load and the back straps hold my snowshoes perfectly. You can stuff a lot of crap in the side pockets and the fact that the compression straps unbuckle has proven to be a big asset. The Nimbus Ozone and Nimbus Latitude are the same packs except that the Latitude has the front access system (FSA). The FSA takes some getting used to but once you do it’s great. It’s nice to be able to pull off your pack, unzip the front, and pull out anything you want. This is a huge asset in winter given the fact that you don’t have to empty your pack out completely to find something. I just lay the pack on the ground, unzip the front, and pull out whatever I need. Oh, did I mention that I use this pack when I go backpacking with my girls and I fit all of their stuff plus mine and the pack still feels comfortable. I don’t weight it (I don’t want to get to depressed knowing how much I have on my back) but I am able to fit everything in and the pack always feels like it can take some more.

Just throwing in my two cents.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools