Topic

Another backpacking trip with the scouts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Another backpacking trip with the scouts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    David Bizup

@scouterinahammock

We last backpacked in May, and in 3 more weeks we're going out again. Last time I worried way to much about pack weight. We had lessons, did a shakedown hike, 2 gear checks, etc.. Some of the lightweight training worked (One scout dropped his pack weight from near 50 to below 30 pounds at the gear check). Some of it didn't. Everybody who owned a backpacking stove wanted to carry it, and they brought knives, and stainless folding hobo utensils, and full mess kits, and nalgene bottles, big boots, and … well you get the idea. But hey, 12 year olds really like cool camping gadgets, and everybody had a good time. So, successful trip.

I lack the free time needed for a lot of that pre-hike prep stuff this time around. We'll do a gear check the day before we leave, and weigh the packs to see how close they get to the weight guidelines (try for the minimum of 20lbs or 25% body weight). Other training is up to the crew leader.

Dave

PS – What's with parents these days? Don't they feed their families Spam? Half the scouts on the last trip said, "Wow, I never had this before but it's really good!" Spam Singles rock!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools