Topic

Ultralight Economies of Scale: Budgeting for Your Pack & Wallet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ultralight Economies of Scale: Budgeting for Your Pack & Wallet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Megan Parker

@mkparker919

Thanks again for your generosity in sharing a rainy-day shelter on IRNP, Brad, and for inspiring me to begin my ultralight journey. Glad you had a good trip!

Megan

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Hey, Megan! Sounds like you, Heidi and Jan got back in one piece… Have fun with the journey!

Brad

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Hike number one was a section of the AT begining at Hot Springs, NC with a total "wet" pack weight of approximately 34 pounds. My empty pack weighed in at 4 lbs 13 ozs! So much for the goal of sub 5 pound base weight. I bought it on sale solely for its large capacity. So I believed I was spending my hard earned money wisely. This pack now gathers dust. No money or weight was saved by this purchase. My tent weighed just under 4 pounds. I had it for years and saw no reason to buy a new one. My sleeping bag weighed in at a tad over 3 pounds and my 3/8" closed cell sleeping pad added 10 ozs. Totaled up the "big three" bordered on 12 and 1/2 pounds!

I was carrying things like an 8 x 10 urethane nylon tarp for a rainfly to be used with my tent. I had no idea of dual use and that my tarp could be my tent. My tarp was a 1 pound 11 ounce never used weight. Also in my pack was a 1 pound first aid kit that an EMT would be proud to carry in his ambulance. Good money was spent on both of these items and neither was ever used. I was prepared with my bear bag kit and "just in case" I had an extra 50 feet of double braided 1/8" nylon rope. Let's just say that I was well prepared for camping but not for hiking. Worst of all I wasn't having any fun.

Hike number two was in Cheaha State Park in Alabama. My new pack weighed 2 lbs 7 ozs empty. My sleeping bag was 1 lb 2 ozs, my closed cell 24" wide pad cut to torso size wieghed @ 8 ozs due to its 3/4" thickness and my shelter had become a 2 lb 12 oz hammock and rainfly. My big three total was now weighing in at 7 lbs 13 ozs. I was learning to go lighter. Funny thing about this process my wallet also got lighter. My hard plastic water bottles had been traded in for recycled "sports drink" bottles. These bottles were the turning point and the begining of my fiscal responsibility in going lightweight. The 1 pound first aid kit was replaced by a 3.5 oz quite adequate solo kit in a ziploc bag. It was put together by dividing a newly purchased 7 oz kit into a pair of 3.5 oz kits. That makes one for the day pack and one for the trail. The 1 pounder rides in the emergency bag in the rear of the family car. I had dropped 4 lbs 11 ozs and a ton of cash but my total "wet" weight was still 27 pounds. I was lighter but not lightweight. I enjoyed the hike but in my estimation I was a 50/50 hiker/camper.

Today I am preparing for hike number three. I hope to be doing a section of the AT ending in Damascus, VA. Thanks to the MYOG articles my pack is a personalized version of Jay Ham's SUL pack. Ironically I used my old urethane nylon tarp for the material to sew this new pack. No new money was spent in the construction of this pack except for two spools of thread. I have made the turn towards going lightweight on my back and my wallet. I haven't weighed this pack as yet but the tarp weighed 1 lb 11 ozs before I started cutting into it. Since only a little over 1/3 of the tarp was used in the construction of my new pack I estimate it to weigh @ 12 ozs. I have kept my 1 lb 2 oz sleeping bag and 2 lb 12 oz hammock and rainfly. I replaced my 8 oz pad with a 3/8" torso sized pad that simply has to weigh less since it is 20" wide and half the thickness. Since I do not own a digital scale I will guesstimate its weight at 4.5 ozs.

All totaled up my big three weigh in at 4lbs 12.5 ozs. I loaded up my gear from hike number two's pack into my newly sewn pack and used the venerable pack on, pack off, bathroom scale method to ascertain my new total wet weight of 14.5 lbs.

This new pack is not the final version. Already I feel my wallet getting lighter because I see where I can correct some errors and make improvements. The prototype used only already owned items of gear and two new rolls of thread. To construct the new and improved model I ordered some supplies. My investment will still be under $30.00. I still have plenty of the tarp left over.

Gear lists come and go but these are some examples of items in mine. I wear one set of clothes while carrying another in my pack. I wear one pair of socks and liners while carrying two other pairs of each to rotate. I use a pack liner so gone are the half dozen 2 gallon close and seal bags and the pack cover. Pack organization is achieved through the use of two urethane nylon stuff sacks made only to the size necessary to contain their contents. I hike between early June and late October. I check the almanac and the weather often before I set out. Therefore I carry no raingear as it is usually warm and I am already wet from persperation during the hike.

During hike number two it rained on my hiking partner and I for nearly 5 hours. I used my poncho to cover my pack but I let the rain keep me cool.

I progressed from 8 plastic tent stakes to 8 aluminum stakes to the 4 titanium stakes that I carry now.

Gone are the heavyweight mid ankle height waterproof boots. I now wear low quarter trail runner style hiking shoes.

I am considering replacing the rainfly on my hammock with a 6 oz lighter and larger version from the same manufacturer. I just felt a sharp pain in the area of my left hip pocket!

My toothbrush is cut down and my trowel is shortened and full of lightening holes.

cut down and lightened plastic trowel

I must admit that I am tempted to go back to the ground. I have been oohing and aahing over a l lb 9 oz tarp style shelter complete with bathtub floor and bug mesh. It could bring my big three down to 3 lbs 9.5 ozs. Ouch! There's that sharp pain again.

My conversion is ongoing but not complete. To paraphrase a saying that I have heard I look forward to the day when, "We who have hiked so far with so little are now qualified to hike anywhere with nothing".

Party On 2010,

Newton

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools